Looking At RAID Enclosures ......

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by garysauctions, Mar 2, 2016.

1. garysauctions macrumors member

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

The link goes to a compare page with no products selected.....

3. garysauctions, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016

garysauctions thread starter macrumors member

Well that's no damn good

I had selected two OWC units. Both were 4 drive enclosures.

First one was called Thunderbay. It has two thunderbolt ports. Four drive bays and black in color cost was about $497

Second unit also OWC 4 drive bays. Silver in color. Cost was $249.00
    http://www.microcenter.com/product/...drive_enclosure_with_dual_Thunderbolt_2_ports

http://www.microcenter.com/product/443924/Mercury_Elite_Pro_Bus_Powered_Enclosure_Kit

4. Sirolway macrumors 6502

5. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

You can buy both direct from OWC for the same price without the 5-7 day delay...

http://www.macsales.com

I have the Thunderbay 4 - it is excellent. Have it setup as RAID5 with SoftRAID. Very fast.

6. garysauctions thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. Micro Center is local to me and both are in stock .

7. garysauctions thread starter macrumors member

Well it appears as if the Thunderbay is nothing more than a 4 bay drive container and not in an of itself a RAID system ... but a box to hold up to 4 drives for a Software RAID solution.

Not sure how this would work for me.

My desire is to have two drives mirrored, and BOOTABLE so that in the event the boot drive goes bad the mirror can take up the slack.

The second two drives would be data/apps ...... and also mirrored.

Is that possible to do with SoftRAID ..... the program that ships with the Thunderbay ???????

8. satinsilverem2 macrumors 6502a

satinsilverem2

I would go with the Thunderbolt version if you can swing it. it will be better in the long run. plus I find that the Thunderbolt connection is more stable than a USB 3/ Firewire connection. I have the Elite Pro Dual and its been wonderful.

9. AFEPPL macrumors 68030

AFEPPL

Go NAS rather than TB or USB, divorce the compute and the storage.
    QNAP or Synology

10. matreya macrumors 65816

matreya

Well I've got 3 Thunderbays setup that way and it works well. The difference is that if an enclosure dies, I can still put the hard drives into another enclosure and use the RAID array as before.

I know you can create a couple of RAID1 arrays, but don't know if you can make them bootable...

11. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

If I were to divorce the storage library from my Mac, it only to be hooked to a Mac Server like a Mac Mini.

12. Ray2 macrumors 6502a

It sounds like you're putting your boot drive in the external. Make sure you can boot off 2 drives with either Thunderbolt or USB. Typically, the drive in the first slot can boot. The others cannot. I have 4 multibay enclosures, one is an OWC, 2 are Thunderbolt and USB3, 2 are USB3 and FireWire. In all cases, via Thunderbolt and USB, only slot #1 will boot. I think with FireWire there's more flexibility. Haven't tried though.

As another said, Thunderbolt is totally stable, USB is not, I certainly would not want my full time boot drive running on USB. As well as even with the best cables, USB can still drive BT nuts. Also, how immune to fan noise are you? These are not temperature sensitive fans, they are on all the time. Though it sounds like this is a commercial install given bothering with RAID for a simple dual boot option.