Looking at refurb 2011 27" iMac (SSD or 1TB)

Discussion in 'iMac' started by devincco, Oct 11, 2011.

1. devincco macrumors member

devincco

Hi all. I'm looking at picking up a 2011 27" iMac (3.4GHz quad i7) from the refurb section on Apple's site. When available, I've noticed that there is a option with the 256GB SSD drive for about $400 more than the 1TB option. Is the SSD worth the extra $400? I know it's very difficult (if not impossible) to upgrade the HDD on the 2011 iMac because of the special cable and firmware on the drive which is why I'm thinking of the SSD option.

I'll mainly be doing basic office stuff, light to mid level photo and video editing, and running a couple of VM's at once. I'll be upgrading the machine to 16GB of RAM after I get it.

So, is the SSD option worth the extra cost?

Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

2. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

the ssd makes it very fast. I have a macbook air with a ssd and it is way faster than my desktop with 2 times the ram and

3. TheAnswer 03 macrumors newbie

Worth the extra cost; I got the 21.5" iMac with 256GB SSD only and everything is very fast, very quiet, and the system is barely warm to the touch.

4. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I just ordered one with the SSD and can't wait. For what I do it will be nice but also I am hoping it cuts down on the heat to a good extent, which would be a plus. I see what you will be doing and the time difference will be worth the extra cost in the long run.