Looking back at non retina displays.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dschima, Jul 2, 2010.

1. dschima macrumors newbie

I've been using Pandora/Last.fm on my iPhone 4 so much that I've been completely ignoring my iPod touch. Well today I went to use my touch and when I unlocked it I was a little shocked as to how pixelated everything looked! I guess the iPhone 4's display has spoiled me. Anybody else experience this?:p

2. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

I played with an iPhone 4 for like 20 minutes at the Apple Store and expected to be disappointed upon going back to my 3GS. I wasn't. The 3GS definitely isn't as bright or as white, but it doesn't look any less 'sharp' to my eyes. Oh well, maybe i was expecting too much.

3. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

I sure do notice the difference now when looking at my iPad screen, however. The iPad is a non-retina display and the text and everything looks quite pixellated compared to the sharp crisp fluidness of the iPhone 4 screen.

4. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

I definitely noticed it after using a coworkers 3GS for a few seconds...really noticeable pixelation.

5. jkrutch macrumors regular

Difference is huge...Love my iPad a little less as a result.

6. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

20 minutes isn't long enough. Your eyes can get used to lower resolution display and your brain fools you into thinking it's perfectly sharp. A good example of this is my Toyota which has 256 colors Navigation display and the Lexus my wife drives with 32,000 colors NAV display. If I spend long enough time in the Toyota I start to think the display looks just fine but when I sit in the Lexus again the Lexus display looks shockingly clear. Then the Toyota display looks crappy for a while until I forget. Repeat cycle.

7. drjsway macrumors 6502a

Wow, really? I noticed the difference in sharpness the first second the lock screen came on.

8. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

You're totally right. I still have my 3G and looking at the displays next to each other is amazing.

9. briand05 macrumors 6502

This screen is MIND BLOWING, it really is as good as apple says. The sharpness, contrast, color everything. Best screen on a mobile device without a doubt.

10. ZacUSNYR macrumors regular

The difference is noticeable between my 4 and my 3gs. The 3gs has 4 bars next to the word 3g and the 4 has 1-3 that never stays still - but they sure are clearer :)

11. B737 macrumors 6502a

B737

+1 ha so true! :)

12. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

I know, it's freaking amazing. What's weird is when I first got it, I noticed it was sharper but didn't think it was that much better. But now whenever I look at a display that's not my iPhone, all I see are pixels everywhere, it's spooky and disturbing.

13. huz123 macrumors newbie

that made me LOL

14. Sixpack446 macrumors member

You need to watch a hd video or look at a high quality pic. There is no way the 3GS even comes close to the awesome retina display. I took out my 3GS and put it side by side with the same pic and video. The retina display kills the 3GS by miles.

15. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

+1 :(

I remember being amazed at the iPad's screen and now it seems dated.

16. maddux2005 macrumors 6502

No question about it. Apple didn't over exaggerate this one. The screen is by far the best screen on a phone I have ever seen.

I'll be browsing this forum for a bit on it (like I am now). Then I'll look at this site on my laptop, and my laptop screen now disappoints me. And my laptop does 1680x1050. So it's obviously the "retina display" that makes the difference.

I could never go back to an inferior screen on my phone again.

17. swllnvag macrumors member

Gimme a break. Yes it looks better. Yes I prefer the 4 over the 3g/3gs.

It's just like watching HD tv and SD tv. I don't throw up when I watch SD just because I've seen HD tv.

18. WilliamG macrumors 604

Heck, even with the SCREEN OFF the iPhone 4 destroys the 3GS's display. Look at how BLACK the iPhone 4 screen is off compared to the 3GS's screen off. It really is a huge difference.

19. kits macrumors member

I am not disappointed going back to 4" 480 x 854 resolution screen. I would if I went to 3.5" 320 x 480 resolution screen.