Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

For the first time since 2019, Apple will host an in-person event to launch its newest iPhones on Wednesday, September 7, at the Steve Jobs Theater at Apple Park. While the event is expected to remain primarily digital with an in-person component, it marks the first time in three years that Apple is holding an event in the Steve Jobs Theater and the first in-person iPhone launch since the iPhone 11.

Apple-Event-Far-Out-Feature.jpeg

Apple's annual fall iPhone event is one of the most highly anticipated events for the company each year. At this annual event, Apple showcases its latest innovations in the iPhone, Apple Watch, and other products and services. Due to the global health crisis, what used to be an entirely in-person event at Apple Park turned into digital, and pre-recorded videos live streamed online.

For the upcoming "Far Out" event, we still don't know what format Apple will use. With a small in-person crowd at the Steve Jobs Theater, Apple could have a live presentation with some parts pre-recorded. Either way, those in attendance will have the added benefit of having hands-on time access to the new products. Regardless of the specific format, the upcoming event remains somewhat historical. So we thought it would be fun to look back at Apple's last five in-person events before the new digital format took hold.

By innovation only.

f1568133264.jpg
Photo via Joanna Stern

Apple's last fully in-person event was the iPhone 11 launch on Tuesday, September 10, 2019. At this event, Apple revealed the iPhone 11, iPhone 11 Pro, iPhone 11 Pro Max, the Apple Watch Series 5, a new 10.2-inch iPad, and updates to services such as Apple Arcade. Relive that event and all of its announcements here.

Write code. Blow minds.

wwdc-2019-13.jpg

While WWDC 2022 did have an in-person crowd, it was still a pre-recorded event with no in-person presenters to showcase Apple's latest creations. The last in-person WWDC was in 2019, one of recent most jam-packed WWDC keynotes. During WWDC 2019, Apple not only showcased iOS 13, iPadOS 13, macOS Catalina, and more, but it also revealed the Mac Pro and the Pro Display XDR.

It's showtime.

Apples-keynote-event_guests_arrive_at_Steve_Jobs_Theater-03252019_big-1.jpg.large_2x-1.jpg

A few months before WWDC in 2019, Apple held a service-focused event on March 27, 2019, at Apple Park and in the Steve Jobs Theater. During this event, Apple revealed a wide range of new services, including Apple Arcade, Apple TV+, Apple Card, and Apple News+.

The event was less mainstream compared to typical Apple events given the lack of hardware announcements for consumers. Still, it marked a critical turning point for Apple as it pivoted to also becoming a services company beyond just hardware and software. The event was held at the Steve Jobs Theater for select members of the media. Check out posts from MacRumors' coverage of the event here.

There's more in the making.

apple-october-2018-event.jpg

Not held at the Steve Jobs Theater in Apple Park, Apple's October 30, 2018, event included the reveal of a redesigned MacBook Air, the completely new edge-to-edge 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro, and a new Mac mini at the Brooklyn Academy of Music in New York City. The event was heavily targeted toward creative professionals, such as artists and musicians who could use the new iPad Pro and the second-generation Apple Pencil to create their work. The new MacBook Air revealed at the time also targeted students who needed a light, thin, and capable laptop.

Gather round.

apple-sept-2018-event.jpg

To wrap up the list, we look back at Apple's September 12, 2018, event at the Steve Jobs Theater at Apple Park, where Apple announced the iPhone XS and the iPhone XS Max, the Apple Watch Series 4, and the iPhone XR. This was just the second event Apple had ever held at the Steve Jobs Theater after the first event in 2017, which included the launch of the iPhone X.

Conclusion

In-person events at Apple Park have a rich history, and while Apple's upcoming "Far Out" event likely won't be a full return to normal with in-person presenters and announcements, it does mark the first iPhone launch at the Steve Jobs Theater in three years. What are you most looking forward to for Apple's "Far Out" event? Let us know in the comments below.

Article Link: Looking Back at Past In-Person iPhone Events Ahead of 'Far Out' iPhone 14 Reveal

MathersMahmood

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2016
England
I'm surprised that people haven't got bored of these phones.

Can't wait for the day when my phone doesn't crash and throw error messages at me when transferring images and videos to my computer.

• Haha
Reactions: War833

Macative

Suspended
Mar 7, 2022
I didn't think Apple would return to these types of events. The pandemic excuse was perfect for them, allowing them to disguise the lameness of their updates with production work.

Considering the iPhone 14 itself (non Pro) is expected to be nearly identical to the iPhone 13, this will be interesting to see them try to pull off.

ss2cire

macrumors regular
Jun 18, 2008
Earth?

Can't wait for the day when my phone doesn't crash and throw error messages at me when transferring images and videos to my computer.

Are you sure you're talking about an iPhone here? I've never encountered issues like that nor with anyone else, and I know a lot of people with iPhones. One possible issue is you may have a defective phone, get that checked out at an Apple Store.

MathersMahmood

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2016
England
Are you sure you're talking about an iPhone here? I've never encountered issues like that nor with anyone else, and I know a lot of people with iPhones. One possible issue is you may have a defective phone, get that checked out at an Apple Store.
Its happened to every iPhone I've had even when set up as new. And searching the net shows its a common issue. Which is a shame.

bbednarz

macrumors 65816
Nov 16, 2017
Chicago

You’ve owned just about every generation iPhone Apple has ever made.. It doesn’t seem like youre very bored yet..

livmatus

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2020
I've never watched those cringey in person on stage events... however I've never missed an online event starting WWDC 2020 and I quite enjoyed them all

DrJR

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2017
The “far out” thing makes me think they will be satellite capable phones.

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON
Apple has gotten so good at the produced events that I can't imagine they're going to want to give up that storytelling. My guess is that in person events will be a hybrid of Tim Cook on stage throwing it to other presenters in pre-recorded segments. The only reason they're not giving up in-person events is for the hands-on areas and special one-on-one Q&A's for media outlets.

BRumfoord

Suspended
Aug 29, 2022

I've owned multiple iPhones since the first one and I've never had it crash or throw error message when transferring images or videos. I'm not questioning your experience, though. As someone who helps a lot of friends and family with their tech issues, I'm frequently amazed by issues others experience that I've never experienced myself.

That said, I'm VERY bored with the iPhone and tech in general. I can't even begin to understand people who get excited about upgrading every year. If you put each of the last few iPhone models in the same case, no one would be able to tell an 11 from a 13 in everyday use. I blame the Internet in general. Back in the day, you waited all year or more for the next big reveal, but now everything is leaked, publicly beta tested, and released in a constant-drip fashion. It's made tech boring. And I'm not just referring to Apple. Tech was a lot more fun and exciting before the Internet, social media, etc.

Reactions: MathersMahmood

BRumfoord

Suspended
Aug 29, 2022
I've never watched those cringey in person on stage events... however I've never missed an online event starting WWDC 2020 and I quite enjoyed them all

Steve's keynotes were great. He knew how to get the crowd excited, how to work the audience, and how to deliver an exciting reveal. I had a press pass for one of the NeXTSTEP Expo events back in the day and got to watch the show from the second row. It was thrilling. He had the audience hanging on his every word. I feel fortunate that I got to experience one of those shows in person.

I'm a big fan of Tim Cook, but his keynotes are weak. No one at Apple today comes close to Jobs in terms of showmanship. I think the pre-recorded events work a lot better with today's executive team.

MathersMahmood

macrumors 6502a
Sep 5, 2016
England
I've owned multiple iPhones since the first one and I've never had it crash or throw error message when transferring images or videos. I'm not questioning your experience, though. As someone who helps a lot of friends and family with their tech issues, I'm frequently amazed by issues others experience that I've never experienced myself.
Likewise. But this is a common issue for me. And i blame the lightning port. When transferring with USB C on my iPad there is zero issues.

Reactions: BRumfoord

bluecoast

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
Very glad that the whooping and cheering from the audience has (currently) disppeared.

I'm in the UK and maybe it's our culture but I found it very weird that people were cheering product and feature introductions at consumer electronics product intro events.

I prefer the new pre-filmed pieces - they're very slick and the whole event moves faster and is snappier than the in-person events.

What's to be be gained by hearing presenters ocassionally fluff their lines or the occasional crash?

There's so many eyes on Apple nowadays that I think that it'll become very clear if a product is a dud - we don't need to see it live demoed.

Happy to read hands on reports after the events also & I guess Apple will want to help fuel those pre-orders.

Reactions: MathersMahmood
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.