Looking back on the original iPad after the getting the new iPad

Discussion in 'iPad' started by falcora, Mar 27, 2012.

1. falcora macrumors 6502

Has anyone else looked at the screen of the iPad 2 or iPad 1 after upgrading to the retina display? I honestly can't believe that I used that for almost a year. It's screen looks like absolute crap compared to the retina display.

It's weird how we don't complain about what we have until there is something better out. I guess after getting so used to the retina display, I had forgotten what I had come from.

2. Bokes macrumors 6502

I try to convince people the same thing about streaming vs blu ray quality.
    Most are lazy and prefer fast-food streaming- but if you A/B quality- blu ray blows away streaming.

My 4 year old son no plays games on the iPad 1

3. batotman macrumors 6502

Next to it the old screen looks hideous, especially in portrait mode. My wife was even surprised at how big of a difference because she usually thinks I just try to rationalize my tech purchases...loo. :D

4. MacAttacka macrumors 6502

Im going to be the odd one out and say the iPad 2 screen still looks great. The only problem I noticed was reading web pages in portrait where text was a little elligible. with the iPad 3 is looks crisp.

Basically the iPad 3 looks nicer but its pointless looking at images designed for XGA on a QXGA screen and expecting to be blown away. A couple of retina apps do look sharperbut right now thats it.

When we get dedicated retina apps with QXGA images then you'll see how amazing it relly is.

5. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Hehehe, try looking at an old 42 inch CRT. It's like a century of difference.

6. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I noticed the pixelation on the original iPad out of the box but didn't mind it until the retina display on the iPhone 4 came out. I saw the writing on the wall, and sold my iPad 1 and didn't repurchase until a few weeks ago when the new iPad came out.

7. FamiliaPhoto macrumors 6502a

FamiliaPhoto

The original iPad's screen was great and is still very good. Yes the new iPad's screen is better and it was the reason I upgraded as I'm a photographer. But honestly, I was never embarrassed with the original iPad's screen...it helped me sell my services many times.

I see this as the logical progression of monitors on computers. I remember when 640x720 was high resolution. I could never tolerate it now.

8. Eddie Bombay macrumors 6502

Thinking of selling this 32gb iPad 2 with at&t I picked up and just getting a 32gb iPad 3 (non data).

9. Wide opeN macrumors 6502

Wide opeN

The 3rd generation iPad is the most computer feeling iPad to date.

Once Apple decides that Tablets are indeed the future, they'll start adding more functionality (usb, etc...) and then lookout!!!

10. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I have owned all three....My two went to a buddy back home in the States, so I can't compare it to that one, but I did get a chance to compare it to my old ipad1 last weekend...BOY what a difference. It reminds me of the difference between the old CRT monitors and the LCD's when they came out.

Progress...Yep..:)

11. number84 macrumors 6502

I suggested in another thread for those that aren't considering an upgrade for whatever reason, NOT to use an iPad 3 for a prolonged time. Cuz you really can't go back.

12. falcora thread starter macrumors 6502

Exactly. You couldn't pay me $200 to switch to the original iPad.

13. 7timethecrystal macrumors regular

7timethecrystal

I've also owned all three, and have laid the iPad 3 up against the iPad 2 and 1 showing the same website/screen. It really is like going from SD to HD, that big of a difference.

People really prefer streaming? That's crazy! The Blu-Ray picture and sound are unrivaled on the market. The gradient rendering in streaming drives me nuts.

14. ugahairydawgs macrumors 68020

ugahairydawgs

I don't think anyone prefers the quality of streaming over blu ray. I think that most people (yours truly included) just don't care about the difference.

Side by side we all notice the quality difference between Netflix and a blu ray, but in a vacuum most of us really don't notice that streaming sources are that far off. I know the more anal retentive videophiles will roll there eyes at this, but the quality put out by an upscaled DVD or what comes through Netflix works just fine for me.

Same holds true for the iPad. Put the new one next to an iPad 2 and it is pretty easy to see the difference. But take the new one away and the screen quality for most on the 2 is more than adequate.

15. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

While, the first iPad is kinda long in the tooth now. I will always have soft spot for it.

At the time, it was a completely new device that I never knew I needed. It was an achievement in human-computer interaction. And a wonderful moment in discovery as I explored it.

16. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

I agree with you completely.

17. Bokes macrumors 6502

Fair enough.
    Most will accept mediocrity...but caring about quality is what will push us forward.
    Going from a 2 to 3- agree- no big deal.
    But the op was referring to the 1st pad.
    new iPad is WAY better than 1st gen.

18. gmanist1000 macrumors 68030

gmanist1000

I noticed it too. Couldn't believe how crappy the screen was when I took a look at it.

19. davedvdy macrumors regular

No big deal? I found the upgrade from the 2 Also to be huge with the screen clarity alone. Clarity, font smoothness, and crisp overall.

20. number84 macrumors 6502

1 and 2 share the same screen, no?! so, if we're just talking about the screen then, yes, a big deal going from either 1/2 -> 3. but for performance (Processor/GPU/RAM), not as big a deal from 2 -> 3.

21. smallnshort247 macrumors 6502a

smallnshort247

The 3rd gen iPad is my first iPad ever. When rumors focused on the possible retina display, I really didn't think an. Upgrade like that would be a huge deal. After comparing both screens, there's a huge difference.

22. boltjames macrumors 68040

boltjames

$200 dollars. LOL.

BJ

23. Peanut207 macrumors 6502

Peanut207

I'm using portrait mode all the time now thanks to the retina display. I love it. :D
    Only use landscape mode for YouTube videos and apps that only show in landscape.

24. awair macrumors regular

Slightly off topic, but relates to the BluRay comments above.

I have a BluRay player hooked up to a 42" LCD, and love the quality it provides... For documentaries.

However, a couple of times I've watched a movie and only realised after that it was HD. Having both the DVD and BD of a couple of movies, you can make a comparison and it is not so obvious in real life. With the plot and fast paced action it is very easy to get immersed in the movie to the point that SD/HD is no longer obvious.

This observation is backed up scientifically by the Simulation industry, where ”just enough" visual simulation is provided, because everything else compensates to provide the overall simulation experience.

I'm still on the iPad 1, and I know that a 3 would be better, it's just that for some tasks, the advantage would not be that obvious (eg typing this post) and others would be like night and day. Your choice, your personal experience, your money!

25. mofunk macrumors 68000

mofunk

I noticed a difference when it first came out. I was comparing the iPad 1 to the iPhone/iPod Touch. I thought the colors were flat. Then looking at it next to my MBP it didn't make sense to get one at that time because I could do everything on my Mac with a better screen. If you didn't own a mac or any of their gadgets, then you wouldn't have really noticed the difference.

Trust me I was complaining.