Looking for 15" MBP on eBay. Advice?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Demo318, Jun 30, 2009.

1. Demo318 macrumors newbie

Demo318

Hi,

I'm looking for a laptop for college, and I'm interested in purchasing an aluminum macbook pro. Not a unibody mbp, but the old one. I am trying to purchase one of these with at least a 2.1 GHz processor and 1 GB of RAM for around $700.

I'm rather new to eBay, so if you have any tips I would love to hear them. Also, if there's any other method of purchasing older computers that people like, I'm interested.

Thanks!

2. joehahn macrumors regular

i have no idea if there are any "stores" on ebay that specialize in apple products including macbooks...if there isnt any then you need to be reeeeeeeeeaaaaally careful with what you buy and who you buy it from. ive purchased some stuff on ebay(nothing this big though). just make sur eyou read the description very carfeully and look for one that has a ton of pictures

3. Demo318 thread starter macrumors newbie

Demo318

Yes, that's one thing that I'm worried about as I browse the eBay lists. I've found a few reputable sellers, but I've seen many people who aren't listing quality products. Thanks for the heads up.

4. hypertc13 macrumors regular

You need to be very careful. I listed my old macbook pro on craigslist and it seems like every other email i get about it is a scammer

5. Demo318 thread starter macrumors newbie

Demo318

Are you still trying to sell that MBP?

6. Queen of Spades macrumors 68030

Queen of Spades

Can you use craigslist? That way you could at least look at/test the machine out before you buy. You can sometimes get a rad deal if you have cash and are willing to meet quickly. I've had better success getting good deals there than on fleabay.

For ebay, I'd say go with high feedback rating and lots of pictures. Look for sellers who are very detailed with descriptions, especially flaws. I find that sellers that are willing to point out flaws and not say everything is completely mint are generally more reliable/honest.

Good luck.

7. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

Second using craigslist. Just make sure IT IS A LOCAL PURCHASE ONLY! NO SHIPPING! If you get a response from Amy or Amanda or someone else who claims to be from your city but happen to be in the UK (seems like it's always Manchester), ignore the email and the ad.

8. cjacks68 macrumors regular

cjacks68

I saw one of these the other day, they even posted pictures and a legit serial number. The english was ever so slightly off though and that's how I knew it was a scam.

9. ButtUglyJeff macrumors 6502a

ButtUglyJeff

Feedback, feedback, feedback...........................

If someone selling has a near 100% feedback score, then that should be a good sign that you'll be happy with your purchase. A properly formatted listing, with actual photos of the item is also a good sign.

10. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'd be very wary of rBay for something of that nature, I have heard too many horror stories. If Apple refurbs are beyond your budget (and that's the solution I'd recommend if you can stretch to it as they come with Apple's warranty and all other rights and guarantees as new but at a considerable discount pricewise) then why not try student listings or notice-boards, or check to see if your college has a second-hand scheme; they might be a more reliable option.

Cheers and good luck

11. rmhop81 macrumors 68020

rmhop81

make sure the 100% feedback is from selling items and not buying. a lot ofpeople just accept 100% feedback as all being good.

12. joro macrumors 68020

joro

+1, It’s important to have a highly-rated seller when buying ANY expensive item, computers included.

13. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

Things to look for in a seller on ebay:
    1. They accept paypal.
    2. The OS disk is included.
    3. All other software disks are included (everyone will have CS4 or something and expect more money but it´ll be an illegal copy if they aren't selling you the disks.)
    4. I would only consider it if it has Applecare. The applecare is transferable and that gives you some breathing room in case it does crash or have some issues.

IMHO - I really think that expecting $700 for a 15" MBP is way too low a price unless it has some serious issues. By looking at completed listings I think 900-1k seems more reasonable.

14. Demo318 thread starter macrumors newbie

Demo318

Yeah, that's what I'm finding...