Looking for 2.1 speakers

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Jedi5, Sep 21, 2011.

1. Jedi5 macrumors 6502

Jedi5

Someone here suggest a good 2.1 speaker set I should look at for my iMac?
    Currently using some old CA about 3+ years old I got from BB on a BF sale.
    They still work great but I'm ready to upgrade.

Any brand I should stick with or stay away from?

I saw these CA on Amazon as their #1 seller for computer speakers. Great reviews too.
    But not knowing anything about speakers, not sure how good these are or what I should be looking for. Not looking for anything fancy, just something that will sound good and have some good bass. Won't be watching any movies on my iMac, just youtube videos and music.

Thanks

2. bdj33ranch macrumors regular

I'm quite pleased with the JBL Creature's I have connected to my iMac. Other's have said that Harmon-Kardon Soundsticks are good. JBL, Harmon-Kardon and Infinity are the same parent company. I got my Creature's a few years back on their website in the reconditioned section for about $80 - I don't see any listed there now though.

3. Jedi5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jedi5

wow, those are pretty neat looking.

anyone chime in with their thoughts on 360 deg sound vs thx?
    i've seen both advertised not sure which is better.

thoughts?

4. DustinT macrumors 68000

DustinT

For budget speakers, I'm a fan of Klipsch Promedia 2.1's and Logitech's 2.1 THX rated systems. They are hard to beat for the money and you'll probably never need to replace them if you listen at anywhere near normal levels.

5. TMRaven macrumors 68020

TMRaven

My friend has that cyber acoustics setup. It's extremely muddy and the bass is very bloated but not very powerful.

If you absolutely need an unrealistic amount of bass, I guess a 2.1 system is fine, but IMO you can get some extreme music quality from a good entry 2.0 monitor setup. 'Good bass' is highly subjective.

The harmon kardon soundsticks another friend of mine has are pretty decent actually for a 2.1 system. On the 2.0 and even 2.1 front, you can look into audioengine, mackie and swan as per a couple suggestions.

It all depends on your budget though.

6. litedesign macrumors newbie

Love my Klipsch Promedia 2.1! I've had it for 5 years and it still sounds great in my bedroom/office.

7. stuartm macrumors member

8. Jedi5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Jedi5

thanks everyone for your help and suggestions.

i *think* i narrowed my selection down to these 2:

Logitech Z623

Klipsch Promedia

I tried as best as I could to understand the technical wording and if I understood correctly, they seem to be about the same. Doesn't seem like I could go wrong with either one.

I'm leaning towards to the Klipsch as I like the look of the speakers better.

Thoughts?

9. AoxomoxoA macrumors member

10. Blue Fox macrumors 6502a

Blue Fox

I agree. BEST 2.1 speakers out there right now for the price is the Klipsch ProMedia speakers by far.

11. Kafka macrumors 6502