Looking for 2014 Air Purifier Air Cleaner Advice

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by broadleaf, Jul 4, 2014.

1. broadleaf macrumors newbie

Hoping for a 2014 update to this oft-asked thread.

Advice for small office air cleaner?

HEPA, no ozone or ion, and *ideally* exceedingly quiet. Tall order, I know.

We have cats, no central air or ac and a neighbor who loves, loves, loves to burn outdoor fires.

Currently, we swiffer and damp rag down things, but I'm looking for something that will assist in our endeavors.

I was considering rabbitair, but there is something called cadr.org that didn't list them there. Anyone have any air purifiers/cleaners they love?

I've heard good and bad about blueair. Budget is $300-$500.

Thank you!

2. Rchawks, Jul 4, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2014

Rchawks macrumors member

Sure, my wife and I have used one for over 20 yrs. We had to replace the first one after about 16 yrs or so. The motor finally gave out.
    It's a honeywell by enviracaire. There are 3 different sized models, 11500,12500,13500.
    Honestly I can't understand how anyone can sleep without one. We found the 11500 to be the best size and lowest noise producer.
    BTW It was $150.00 at clean air systems. :):):):):)

Attached Files:

3. phrehdd macrumors 68040

phrehdd

There are several excellent makers and models out there. You might want to go to sites that cover allergies.

To be candid, I don't think Hepa is sufficient for your needs as the single source for air cleaning/purifying. You should consider (even though it adds cost) getting a unit that not only does Hepa but can also be fitted with some sort of carbon/charcoal layer.

I happen to use a rather basic style unit (actually have two of them, one regular size and one "junior" size) made by Austin Air Purifiers. They are both somewhat middle of the road where emitting sounds are concerned. Just know that to really clean air, the volume that must pass through per a minute should be moderately high and thus, there is the sound at least of air exiting the unit.
    Here is a link to get you started that might be helpful -

http://www.allergybuyersclub.com/quiet-air-purifiers.html

While the Austin units may or may not be a good fit for you, there are other makes and models that might capture your interest.

If/when you buy, please PM me with what you got and if you like it (for quietness and effectiveness). Good luck!

4. Rchawks macrumors member

This also has a carbon pre filter as well. It can be vac. Off. The main filter last for years.

5. reneete macrumors newbie

Hi there,

Just to know are u guys still sourcing for a good PM 2.5 air purifier? Apparently it's able to combat the smoke/pet danders and others you've listed out.
    My friend is dealing/specializes in air purifiers and enhancement system so I thought you guys might be keen to know.

Cheers.

6. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture

There's a website called Air Purifier Power (or something like that). I highly recommend this guy's research. I've exchanged an email or two with him in the past regarding vacuums and air cleaners, and his knowledge is very high.

I learned a lot from him, wound up going with IQ Air and Winix, along with a laser-based particle reader. I have very bad allergies. Couldn't be happier. They are bigger than what's posted above though. The IQ Air can be loud. The Winix is very quiet.

7. reneete macrumors newbie

I have been using mine (Premier Pure Freshupp) for quite some time now, and it has helped a lot in my asthma and the cleanliness of my home. You might want to have a look at it, compared it to others in the market previously i personally feel it's one of the best. Especially during haze period and the current smoke from people burning incense. Plus it doesn't take a toll on my monthly electricity bill ##

8. senseless macrumors 68000

senseless

I got a few Honeywells at Home Depot. It's convenient to stop at the store when the carbon filters need replacement.

9. silvetti macrumors 6502a

silvetti

Quick question, do you guys keep the filters running 24/7 ?

10. Suture macrumors 6502a

Suture