Looking for 2TB external HD

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by pixelmonkey, Oct 15, 2011.

1. pixelmonkey macrumors newbie

I am looking for a decent 2TB ext HD to use for time machine, upto £120 was looking at the WESTERN DIGITAL My Book for Mac External Hard Drive - 2TB, but have read some bad reviews so I am a bit confused what to buy any recommendations would greatly appreciated.

Thanks Mark

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

All platter-based hard drives are the same. Get the one with the best warranty.

3. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I've had shedloads of WD My Book Studios - 750GB, 1TB, 2TB and 4TB - and they've all been solid. Using a 4TB (2x2TB) now.

4. Samuriajackon macrumors 6502

Samuriajackon

I just tried the Network version called "My Book Live", if you go the network route you'll have to do the firm ware upgrade but it works great with time machine.

5. jamesdmc macrumors 6502

Agreed. Get yourself an enclosure with the connections that meet your needs, then find a good deal on a bare hard drive at the online computer parts vendor of your choice. If the drive ever goes bad, throw a new one in there and keep moving.

I had a Western Digital MyBook go bad. It seemed a waste to throw the whole thing away so I thought I'd put my own drive inside. I pretty much tore up the case trying to get it open. I've been buying empty drive enclosures and adding my own drives ever since.

To each his own, but that's the way I'd go.

6. LeandrodaFL macrumors 6502a

LeandrodaFL

7. mstrze macrumors 68000

Corrected you there. ;)

ALL hard drives will eventually fail. The good news is that capacities have been rising and prices falling so by the time your drive fails you can get a much larger on for nearly half the price.

That's what's great about Time Machine and current HDD economics. You can just buy a new, larger drive and keep on backing-up.

FWIW I have been replacing (or at least thinking about replacing) my TM drive every 18 months. Started with a 500GB, now on a 1.5TB.

8. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

The reality is you'll likely outgrow (and thus replace) a hard drive before it fails. I have a stack of PATA drives ranging from 60 gb to 250 gb in a box and they'll likely never be used again, even though they are perfectly fine.