Looking for 30" monitor cheaper than ACD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ouphe, Feb 4, 2008.

1. ouphe macrumors regular

Hello!

I'm about to purchase a new mac pro, and I'm looking to get a 30" monitor, as well.

The thing is, I don't want to fork out a premium for the ACD, even though that would be my preference. Money is an issue.

I've seen reviews for a handful of newer 30" LCDs by Dell, HP, Gateway, etc that have gotten high marks and I seem to recall they had far lower prices...anyone have a recommendation of where I should start looking? The closer to $1000 I can get the better (as I'm already going to be in the poorhouse after purchasing the Mac Pro!).

Just for reference, I'm a graphic designer who is also involved in lots of Final Cut and Motion work, so ideally I'm looking for something that functions well with moving pictures and static images.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Happy Monday!

2. eschulist macrumors member

Dell had a $350 instant off rebate 2 weeks ago. Letting you pick one up for $1050. Unfortunately its only $200 now, still nice though.

3. smogsy macrumors 6502a

4. treehorn macrumors 6502

treehorn

If you were to do a search on my posts in the past two weeks, you'd see lots of my angsting on this theme. In the end, I purchased the HP LP3065. I was contemplating the Samsung, but in the end it was between the HP and the ACD. Went to B&H and saw the monitors side by side and the Samsung was the weakest. Picture was not nearly as dynamic as the HP or ACD (granted a showroom is not ideal as you aren't in charge of calibration, but...). Spent a week deliberating between the two and finally went with the HP. It has the same screen as the ACD and it looked as good if not better, IMHO. And it may be heresy to say but...I found the frame of the ACD to be much more obtrusive and distracting than the spare black of the HP (I work on a 20" ACD at work and have no problems with it at that size...but something about blowing it up to 30" just made it more overwhelming to me.

While I haven't been able to hook it up to my MacPro yet (as it's still being 'manufactured'...come on Feb 13!), I hooked it up to a MacBookPro and it looks great. No dead pixels.

5. ouphe thread starter macrumors regular

Hmm, that is a hell of a deal for the Dell, and I've used their monitors before. I will definitely have to check out the HP more closely after Treehorn's experience.

Thanks a lot for the responses!

6. juanjoseva macrumors newbie

What about a 23"

I sell you and Apple Cinema 23" in $600. Like new.

7. Dainas macrumors newbie

Your prob going to have to go with the Dell 3007WFP, it has an excellent panel(S-IPS like the ACD) and with the 3008WFP just released.. is cheap as chips for such a monitor. The 3008WFP is slightly better, but at $2,000..