Looking for 32-bit Linux for Mac

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Jasonbot, May 6, 2013.

1. Jasonbot macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Hi,

I need to install a 32-bit linux on my macbook. The reason for this is that there are problems with MATLAB student version (GUI does not run on 64-bit linux) and I need to run some legacy FORTRAN code that I'm having some issues with under my current 64bit environment.

I tried to install the 'normal' 32-bit ubuntu on the mac and it gave a million errors relating to the fact that it wasn't the mac package. Unfortunately ubuntu only has a 64-bit mac version (here).

Are there any 32-bit linux distros that have pre packaged linux that I can install on my mac?

2. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

Is using the Mac version of MATLAB not an option?

3. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Unfortunately not because the fortran code can't compile on the current OS X because apple messed up some stuff with xwindow. With my limited knowledge of fortran it seems easier to just install a native Linux instead.

The software is MSES by Mark Drela.

4. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Most distros offer 32bit support. If you're not familiar with Linux, I'd suggest going with Ubuntu.

5. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Did you read my middle paragraph?

6. Guiyon macrumors 6502a

What sort of errors are you getting when you attempt to boot the i386 ubuntu image? Also, have you tried installing XQuartz (on Mac OS X)? IIRC, Apple stopped including (and providing) the libraries for the X11 system.

7. Jasonbot, May 6, 2013
    Last edited: May 6, 2013

Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

For the i386 install I got the same error as explained here: http://askubuntu.com/questions/276924/live-usb-instructions-for-mac-dont-work-for-12-10

I have xquartz but the error was related so some library not working, I cant recall which one but it was a while ago. I might reinvestigate..

------------------------------------------
    Error was related to this fortran line: PLTLIB = -lX11 -L/usr/X11R6/lib

In fact, by doing a quick google search I came across an ooolllddd post of mine where I struggled to compile a similar piece of code (xfoil) for OS X due to a similar issue: https://code.google.com/p/mjl-xfoil/issues/detail?id=1

8. mslide macrumors 6502a

Is running Linux in a virtual machine an option? I'd imagine 32-bit Ubuntu would work fine in VirtualBox.

9. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Yeah, but that doesn't make sense since I've been running the 32bit Ubuntu for years. Perhaps its something to do with how it was installed or configured?

10. SMDBill macrumors 6502

If you follow your link but navigate down the page to Install/LiveDVD you will see a PC (Intel x86) link to the i386 iso for Ubuntu. That may solve your 32 bit issue.

For Ubuntu install onto a Mac, have you followed This Link?

11. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

The virtualisation gives memory reference errors. I think its related to the age of the code. So far I've decided the easiest is to try run everything as natively as possible.

Hmmm... Using the i386 installer or the AMD installer?

Why do us mac users mac it so hard sometimes.... If i had a PC this would be easy :|

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I've always downloaded the i386 version for the 32 bit flavor. Basically, I said I wanted the 32bit flavor, clicked download and I download.

13. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

This is the ISO I originally used. I also followed all the right steps to make a working bootable disk. Although I had to use a flash drive as my macs CD drive doesnt work.

14. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

15. Amanda.84 macrumors newbie

I couldn't get it to install either

I spent a week pulling my hair out trying to do this install, no luck. I figured I'd revisit the idea of doing it again but I haven't had any luck. I can't see how it would work so I've thrown in the towel already.

16. Jasonbot thread starter macrumors 68020

Jasonbot

Using the link I posted on my previous post I was able to successfully create a bootable live flash drive with 32 bit ubuntu on it. After installing REfit on my mac I was able to boot into the live flash drive. I havent yet performed the installation because I need to partition my disks but I will get around to that eventually.

One thing to note however is that I originally planned to install the linux distro on an old macbook (2,1). This gave me errors as I have explained. By trying the installation on my current macbook pro (5,5) everything seemed to work. I think there is a problem with the EFI boot loader on older macs that makes them not work.

17. Amanda.84 macrumors newbie

It worked on my newer Mac, not my old one.

Thank you Jason. I got it, the problem was the Mac I was using, worked on the newer Mac fine. Thanks a lot :)

18. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

See if this helps Grub4Mac! Easy Linux & EFI Booting

I run Ubuntu 64 / 32 12.04, 13.04, 13.10 Beta without any issues under VMWhare Fusion 5.03. Very fast as a matter of fact. I also have Parallels 9, which is great for windows, not so much for Ubuntu (yet).