Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SideStepSociety

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Any suggestions? Unfortunately, a cellular internet connection is the only type of reliable high speed connection we can get out here where I live, and I'm sick of this Novatel dongle and sharing over ICS to use more than one computer with the stick.

Looking for something that can take SIM or micro-sim, and is HSDPA+ compatible. I've tried browsing and haven't had any luck, so here I am.

Thanks in advance,

-Chris.

SideStepSociety

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Swell idea, but unfortunately, up here in Canada, we get raped on mobile broadband plans.

The only way to get an unlimited plan (although severe throttling happens after 10GB) is to buy this crappy little USB modem, with a plan price of $75.00 a month.

If you want to get the hotspot or "router" that they offer, you only get 10GB a month, you get charged for going over, and it costs $85.00 per month, which makes zero sense to me to go with, especially since it's feeding at least 10 devices.

SideStepSociety

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I've already purchased the unlimited plan with the USB modem.

It's a piece of garbage, with constant disconnects, poor drivers and proprietary software to connect. I also have to dedicate a computer to it just to use ICS to broadcast the signal from the USB modem to my current router.

Right now, because I was sick of the thing, I've simply popped the SIM card into my 4S and am using Personal Hotspot. This obviously isn't preferable because my phone never stays still.

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
I don't think you're going to find anything like that. Most devices are only capable of 5 devices.

SideStepSociety

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2011
Vancouver, BC
http://www.mts.ca/mts/personal/wire...ternet+devices/jet+hub+option+globesurfer+iii

If I could get them to sell me that one without buying a plan (which I'm not sure they won't do), that would be a start, but obviously $349.00 for a router seems a bit steep to me.

There's also the Cisco 880 3G which is apparently supposed to be able to have the SIM slot built in, but I can't seem to find a place to purchase online anywhere. And I can imagine, being Cisco, it won't be moderately priced either.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
http://www.mts.ca/mts/personal/wire...ternet+devices/jet+hub+option+globesurfer+iii

If I could get them to sell me that one without buying a plan (which I'm not sure they won't do), that would be a start, but obviously $349.00 for a router seems a bit steep to me.

There's also the Cisco 880 3G which is apparently supposed to be able to have the SIM slot built in, but I can't seem to find a place to purchase online anywhere. And I can imagine, being Cisco, it won't be moderately priced either.

Really?

Type Cisco 880 in Google and hit shopping. You can sometimes find them at http://www.usedcisco.com.

SideStepSociety

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2011
Vancouver, BC
That would be almost the perfect router, except it's locked to Bell and I'm on MTS. :(

BUT! Thanks to you, I scanned eBay again, and found an unlocked one of the same model!

I think I'm going to give this one a try. Thanks so much! I was previously scouring eBay for a different model number of the same type of router, which was why I had no luck finding one.

SideStepSociety

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 12, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I had actually initially began my search there. Other than the 1210, the other models seemed impossible to find, if you weren't a service provider. Searching Netgear MBR brought up only the 1210 and one other that still used the USB modem to connect.

I had kind of overlooked the 1210 because it was always listed as Bell, and we all know how much of a pain unlocking devices can be.

Thanks again!

AmestrisXServe

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2014
Edup makes some 3G routers, that may work for your needs. This one supports HSPA+, and operates from a SIM card:
http://edupwireless.com/product-5-1-mini-3g-wireless-router-en/137282

(For anyone else, also see these models...)
http://www.buyincoins.com/item/8260.html
http://edupwireless.com/product-5-3-wireless-broadband-router-en/137284

It seems to be what you want, although I have not used one in person, and thus I can't say if it will do the job for you, or if it's rubbish. No data sheet either, but I don't expect any for consumer devices.

Another solution that may work, if your mobile has unlimited data, is to run a third-party WiFi programme on your mobile, and use a DD-WRT router in wireless repeater mode.

If you enable root access on an Android device, you can install Linux tool, and use a third-party programme such as Barnacle to create a wireless network that doesn't utilise the built-in 'tether mode', and thus bypasses caps.

The main drawback of options such as this, is that the connection of any 'hotspot' device tends to have problems when you add multiple clients to it. I have used my mobile in this way when needed--when I am off-site, or travelling--and had mixed results, but it does work.

One thing that I noticed is that (on my older Android device), some systems would intermittently drop their connection. I started a ping loop on each, and that generally rectified the problem, acting to keep the connection alive. The problem was most notable on the W7 netbook that one of my associates was using, and he had to continually reconnect, or reboot, due to horrible drivers on his system.

I have a Broadcom chipset on my netbooks, and that generally was more viable, although I still needed to keep it alive. It may have been due to some problem on the mobile itself, as it was a rather unreliable device, and I gave it a great deal of wear and tear. Even so, it was better than paying for a mobile hotspot disc that had bandwidth caps.

Aside from this, you will want to use browser spoofing, to avoid browser-based detection by your mobile provider. (Any client-side software that announces itself by name over a port is suspect to discovery.)

Any other option will cost you, both for a data plan, and for equipment. There used to be a decent variety of mobile modems, but the carriers have all shifted to a hotspot service contract, and flog their own equipment as part of those data plans, dissipating true, standalone mobile modems.

I used to use one of those PCMCIA mobile modems, and I haven't seen any for sale in ages: I occasionally run into a WWAN card for something, but they are rather rare now. Even with the hardware, you would still need a plan that Most of what I see are those horrid little USB modems, and you already know what to expect of them.

Last edited:

juwonchan

macrumors newbie
Apr 2, 2014
Hi,Chris
I recommend like this
H685-8.jpg

andrewgarnel

macrumors newbie
Jul 28, 2014
The capability of the wireless 3G modem makes it an ideal device for operators planning to upgrade their networks to HSDPA as it supports currently deployed wireless broadband technologies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.