Looking For 3rd Party File Copying Applications

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by flyinbrian27, Jun 25, 2009.

1. flyinbrian27 macrumors newbie

Hello.

Long time PC user, but have always had a healthy amount of respect for Macs.

Now I find myself thrust into a role to support a Mac, and hopefully someone here can help steer me in the right direction.

I have a client that is planning on using a Mac OS X Leopard machine to copy files from an external storage device to a location on his network. He has been instructed on how to do this using Finder, but he doesn't like Finder all that much. His specific complaints:

1) The time elapsed/time remaining is not accurate enough for him. This is actually the primary concern, but his other is:

2) He wants to minimize the amount of time to copy the data. The client already understands how network latency works and that speed depends on the external media we're copying from as well as his network bandwidth, but he wants to see if there's anything faster out there. We ran a test copy using Finder, and we managed to average 7.6 MB/sec.

It's my belief that the client is trying to replicate the functionality of Robocopy on this Mac, but my Google-ing hasn't brought about anything solid for me to use.

And cost is an issue, lower cost is better (surprise, right?).

Does anyone have any ideas as to what programs can be looked at?

2. angelwatt Moderator emeritus

angelwatt

If he's comfortable with a command line he can try using Terminal. I don't think it'll make much difference in transfer speed unless the data is compressed for the transfer. There's a couple Finder alternatives, but they cost money and I doubt they'll show any difference for him on what he has complaints with. I find Windows progress bars much less accurate than Macs.