Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
Ok, so I'm looking for a 24" monitor and I would like it to be height adjustable have USB ports and be preferably Matte. Around $500-650.

Thanks in advance.

Anyone?

Sesshi

macrumors G3
Jun 3, 2006
One Nation Under Gordon
In the tradition of hanging with baited breath for Apple product, I would say that the Dell 2408WFP can't be long in coming since the 3008 has been revealed. Perhaps you should see what that brings to the table. And of course, Apple might reveal one...

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
In the tradition of hanging with baited breath for Apple product, I would say that the Dell 2408WFP can't be long in coming since the 3008 has been revealed. Perhaps you should see what that brings to the table. And of course, Apple might reveal one...

I was looking for the 2408WFP but couldn't find anything on it. How about the HP W2408 has anyone had experience with that one?

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
I was looking for the 2408WFP but couldn't find anything on it. How about the HP W2408 has anyone had experience with that one?

I looked at the HP W2408 at CompUSA about a month ago. I was very unimpressed with this monitor overall.

Keep in mind I own a new HP LP3065 30".

The HP 2408 screen is somewhat Glossy and Glare was bad. The gamut was wide and vibrant but color accuracy for print work without calibration was way off (I viewed press ready PDF's from my server on a box at COMPUSA.)

The adjustability was good but the overall monitor weighted a ton.

Since portability was key for me, I passed on it. Also, I was unimpressed with the Sharpness of this PVA panel.

Here is a mediocre review of this panel from Anandtech:

http://www.anandtech.com/mobile/showdoc.aspx?i=3188

In the end, I bought another Apple 23" over the HP 24" -- But here is the key -- I got it refurbished from APPLE for $799 with Free Shipping and no sales tax (I am video producer and can claim sales tax exemption in Utah for this). This Apple ACD S-IPS is a tried and true panel with SUPERB color SWOP accuracy, viewing angle and sharpness. It lacks in broad based gamut and features but I did not need these: just an solid, portable monitor for client presentations.

Just my thoughts.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
I think I'm going to take a look at the HP myself but thanks for your input. However I just cannot get an apple display it's way too much!

any other suggestions?

dante@sisna.com

macrumors 6502a
Apr 21, 2006
I think I'm going to take a look at the HP myself but thanks for your input. However I just cannot get an apple display it's way too much!

any other suggestions?

I honestly have none in the price range in which you are looking.

I would suggest doing some comparison shopping and trying to find something with a 1920 x 1280 resolution, which you can for the money you are describing.

Sorry I cannot be of more help in this area.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
I honestly have none in the price range in which you are looking.

I would suggest doing some comparison shopping and trying to find something with a 1920 x 1280 resolution, which you can for the money you are describing.

Sorry I cannot be of more help in this area.

That's fine Thanks anyways, Right now I'm looking at the dell. Does samsung or LG have a good one?

timestamp

macrumors 6502
Dec 26, 2007
That's fine Thanks anyways, Right now I'm looking at the dell. Does samsung or LG have a good one?

The LG L246WP is a nice display. I used to have two. They are on sale at best buy for $479 right now.

I am no too familiar with the Samsungs, but many like the 244t, and i believe the 245t.

The Dell is nice, but has issues, as do most displays. I would hold out for the 2408WFP, which should be hitting in the next couple months.

Techguy172

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 2, 2007
Ontario Canada
The LG L246WP is a nice display. I used to have two. They are on sale at best buy for $479 right now.

I am no too familiar with the Samsungs, but many like the 244t, and i believe the 245t.

The Dell is nice, but has issues, as do most displays. I would hold out for the 2408WFP, which should be hitting in the next couple months.

Thanks I'll check out the LG.

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
You know, I've had good experience with NEC and Acer monitors in the past. The Acer by surprise was actually very, very sharp, bright and clear. I have my eye on an Apple 23" monitor now but I'm waiting until tomorrow to see if there any new monitors or at least a price drop. If nothing happens with ACD's, then I just may go with a 24" Acer or NEC.

Aperture

macrumors 68000
Mar 19, 2006
PA
I've been really happy with my Gateway... Take a look at their FPD2485W and FPD2400HD.

bloomberg

macrumors newbie
Sep 8, 2007
Costco is selling the Princeton 24", 1920 x 1280px, w/instant $20 rebate for $350. I just bought one since the price is so great. The colors are not the best so I don't recommend it for graphic artists. I absolutely love the extra space!.

4God

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2005
My Mac
You know, I was going to consider (as mentioned above) the Acer or NEC but I just tested a Samsung 24" and boy is it a beauty. I went ahead and picked it up for $499 at Circuit City. It doesn't have the extra ports but that's okay with me. I was hoping for a price drop on Apple displays today but that didn't happen and I couldn't wait any longer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.