Looking for a 2nd Monitor (for iMac)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Jimbob 2705, Dec 4, 2013.

1. Jimbob 2705 macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I am looking to get another Monitor for my iMac, as I would like to be able to use a 2nd monitor.

I currently have a Mid 2011 21.5" iMac.

I don't know where to start looking, or what specifications I need really, as there are so many choices.

This is what are important :

Looks good and matches iMac well
    Good Colours
    Prefer a Glossy Display to match the iMac
    Good Quality (HD)

So does anyone have any simple suggestions on what specifications or tips on what I should be looking for?

I will be using it for general use, including software such a Photoshop, Illustrator, Etc. I won't be using it for gaming.

For examples :

• I am unsure whether I should go for a 21.5" screen so it has the same display size as the iMac, or I go bigger such as a 24" as it will be a more similar external size the match the iMac's external dimensions so it will look more aesthetically pleasing?
    • What Contrast Ratio should I be looking for?
    • Which connection type do I want? (I assume HDMI)
    • Any companies I should look at in particular?
    I am based in the UK if that makes a difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

2. bolen macrumors 6502

bolen

I've always had good experience from NEC monitors. They are also quite OK looking, nothing fancy, just a monitor (usually in black or white color options).

I would look into one of the following displays, each have IPS panels and LED backlight.

NEC MultiSync E224Wi - 21.5" 1920x1080, will match you iMac in size and resolution.
    NEC MultiSync EA244WMi - 24" 1920x1200, will be bigger but not much more resolution (work area)
    NEC MultiSync EA274WMi - 27" 2560x1440, the same size and resolution as the 27" iMac.

The 27" form factor is really nice IMHO, but then I'm on the 27" iMac as well so I'm biased. If you don't want to up up to 27" I would probably say stay with 21.5" as the minor resolution bump on a 24" is negligible.

3. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

4. supaman macrumors member

I just purchased a 23" Dell Ultrasharp, sorry its my Christmas present so cant use it yet. I chose it for a couple reasons 1) great reviews from photographers on the ultrasharps for editing, 2) its ips, 3) it was on sale for 169. I wanted to go 27" but could not afford to get the higher res version.

5. NinjaDuck macrumors member

NinjaDuck

Since you have the 21.5" iMac, I'd suggest you getting the Dell Ultrasharp u2212hm. It matches the screen size of your iMac. Great reviews around the web too!

I wouldn't go anything above the 24" mark if I were you. Looks weird beside the iMac.
    Just my $0.02

6. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

No specific model suggestion - but for size, stick with one that matches the ppi of your iMac display, otherwise when you drag items between screens they change size. So a 21.5" 1920x1080, or a 27" 2560x1440.

7. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

The only good reason to purchase such a monitor is when you have a dual GPU equipped gaming beat and every frame matters whilst you're pawning your enemies in BF4, or whatever multiplayer game the youngsters are playing these days.

8. Acorn macrumors 68020

Acorn

have you ever even seen a 120 mhz screen or higher? the picture is entirely different. its not just the fps.

9. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

Yes, I have. Sure the image will be more flicker free and you are likely to see smoother video playback, depending on your eyes, but all 120 MHz+ screens have TN panels.

10. FranzMarc macrumors member

I stumbled upon a review of the Planar PXL2790MW, 27'' 1440p and what struck me was that it sounds like they use the same laminated glass technique Apple uses in the iMac.

Doesn't look bad either.

11. Epic26 macrumors newbie

the HP Pavilion 22xi looks pretty sweet. slightly lower but can be put level with your iMac.

Attached Files:

12. Jimbob 2705 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for all the help!

I've looked at the Dell Ultrasharp Monitors, as a few people mentioned them on here. I specifically looked at the Dell Ultrasharp U2212HM which is the same size as my iMac screen.

Doing a bit of research on it looks perfect, with a height adjustable stand and the rotatable monitor could possibly be a benefit. It doesn't look anything fancy, as I prefer a gloss finish on the plastics.

The problem is that the screen is meant to be Anti-Glare, but quite a few people say this coating makes the screen poor to look at.

I also think this Anti-Glare will not match the iMac well.

So I'm going to cross any Dell Ultrasharps of the list, unless there any other models I should look at?

It does look quite good, but it annoys me that silver bar isn't the same height as the iMac's.

----------

I am still undecided if I should go for a 21.5" or a 24" monitor, keeping the resolution the same (1920x1080).

I think a 21.5" would look better as the same actual screen size, but a 24" would look better as it would be bigger externally.

I think a adjustable height stand is very useful as I think I would like to put the 2nd display so it is central (height wise) on the iMac (so the bottom and top of the monitors won't be in line. Like this for example : http://offlinerockstaracademy.com/wp-content/uploads/my-imac-600.JPG

I really do like this setup : http://hostthenpost.org/uploads/371591c26ad275d905a82c9834cebf60.jpg

As its fits the Black Bevel of the iMac superbly!

13. noisycats macrumors 6502a

noisycats

I agree with the ultrasharps, too matte for me, actually distorted text to my eyes.

However, super happy with the Dell s2340. Glossy screen and great colors. No VESA mount is the only negative but I don't think you mentioned that as a criteria. I picked up mine at Amazon for around 135 (one day sale).

14. Jimbob 2705 thread starter macrumors newbie

Sounds ideal, I also see they do an 21.5" version, so I'd have the choice of either.

I don't suppose you have any pictures of it next to an iMac do you?:)

Thanks

15. Jimbob 2705 thread starter macrumors newbie

Right, I think I may have found an ideal monitor (Thanks to Noisy Cat).

I'm thinking of getting the Dell S2340L : http://www.dell.com/ae/business/p/dell-s2340l/pd

It seems to get good reviews, and have a suitable specification for what I want.

The external dimensions of it also match the external dimensions of the black bevel on my iMac, so I think that if aligned it should look quite good.

It has a VGA and HDMI input so I'd assume I'd use a DisplayPort-to-HDMI adapter then use a HDMI cable?

I was just looking at the S2440L (which is the 24" version), and it has a better spec. The Response Time is 6 m/s instead of 7 m/s. Also the Contrast Ratio is 5000:1 compared to the 1000:1 which the 23" version has.

Do these differences make much difference in the real world?

I'd prefer the 23" version, just as it will match the height of the iMac's black bevel better.

So…Is it a good choice? :)

Many Thanks,

James

16. Jimbob 2705, Dec 8, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2013

Jimbob 2705 thread starter macrumors newbie

17. Jimbob 2705 thread starter macrumors newbie

Fairly sure I'm going to go for the Dell S2340L...Anybody got a reason why I shouldn't? :D

18. Jimbob 2705 thread starter macrumors newbie

Just an update for everyone.

Bought the Dell S2340L last night. Looks ideal for what I want!

Thanks everyone for all the help! I'll update this thread once I get it with my thoughts.

Just a quick question, what should I check on it when I receive it, to make sure it isn't faulty? Eg dead pixels, etc

Thanks again!

James