looking for a 3.5 HDD case with firewire800

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by nitrotg, Jan 5, 2009.

1. nitrotg macrumors newbie

already got my samsung F1 1TB disk and was hoping on finding a external case to plug it in that has a firewire800..

Have found out its not so easy to find after all..

Icybox from Raidsonic is all i have found but then i heard from someone that ill need a firewire800 ONLY case.. the case with usb and firewire800 is a peice af ****..

is this true?

Any recomention on what case to get.. As cheap as possible

2. monokakata macrumors 68000

monokakata

3. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

First off I don't know if you are just referring to that particular case, but if you mean that any case that has FW and USB ports is trash then that is not true.

The USB and the FW circuitry are independent in external enclosures and one should have no effect on the other- that is why you must make a decision of one or the other to connect the drive via.

FW 800 capable drive enclosures are not cheap as you have found out. Most that I have seen that support FW 800 start at about $60 but can certainly be worth it if you need the speed over say FW 400. www.newegg.com has quite a few FW 800 external enclosures ( be sure to search hard drive enclosures using both designations- Firewire 800 as well as 1394b which means the same thing). Amazon does too.

OWC (as mentioned above) would actually be my choice as they have a pretty wide selection of them which you can see here and they are good company to deal with that I use for almost all my stuff. They have their Mercury Elite enclosures that include FW 800 for $62.50 right now here BTW.

4. nitrotg thread starter macrumors newbie

THe OWC looks really good.. defiently what i am looking for..

Have been google it but can't find it here en EU.. if i ordered it from the us then tax whould really ruin me..

Anyone got a tip to where to get it in the EU?

5. cube macrumors G4

Macpower Pleiades Super S-Combo (quad interface) is nice. I use it for FW400 with that drive.

I like it better than my OWC triple interface for PATA (I don't know if the quad for SATA has better mechanical design).

6. sickmacdoc macrumors 68020

sickmacdoc

That is a shame as I don't think you will find that particular enclosure anywhere BUT OWC as it is one of their exclusives. :( Looks like the search is still on for one unfortunately.

7. Bengt77 macrumors 68000

Bengt77

Just order it from the US. That's what I have done, as I'm in Europe too. I bought their OWC Mercury Elite-AL dual drive triple interface enclosure. Excellent quality.

8. cube macrumors G4

You have to fiddle with the hard disk screws with the OWC triple interface PATA, plus it doesn't have a top shield, like the Macpower quad. I doubt the quad SATA is any different.

And the Macpower is available in Europe.