Looking for a 3G, AT&T or Apple Store?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CollateralDmg, Jul 24, 2008.

1. CollateralDmg macrumors newbie

So I've recently decided to get an iPhone 3G, now I just have to go through the ordeal in order to get one, but I'm not sure where to start.

So I hear that Apple Stores get much more stock in more regularly, so my best bet is to camp out before opening and go there? However, I've heard that if AT&T runs out you can just 'buy' it then and then get one whenever it comes in. Can you do that at an Apple store?

One last thing: I'll signing up for service, as I don't currently use AT&T. However, someone in my family does have a current account, and I will be adding my service to that account. I've heard reports of not being able to go to an Apple store because of pre-existing accounts. So if I want to sign up for new service, that is going to be on an existing account, can I go to an Apple Store?

So, all in all, Apple Store or AT&T? Thanks for any info. I can't wait!

2. jakeacc macrumors regular

Why not both? I have ordered an iPhone via AT&T and they said it could take at least 2 weeks before they get more stock.

In the meantime, I've been trying to get one at the Apple Store (which does get more stock and on almost a daily basis) If you get one at the Apple store, just make sure to cancel your order with AT&T afterwards.

No matter what time you go to the Apple store, be willing to wait 2-3 hours minimum. (even longer on weekends and during lunch hours)

As far as adding your iPhone to an existing account, I don't know. You should probably call the Apple or AT&T store ahead of time to make sure there will be no problems.

3. dawg521 macrumors member

you can add a line to an account at the Apple Store i believe.

4. aneftp macrumors 68040

One more thing to add. If you are just adding another line to an existing family account, you better check if that line currently has a FAN (basically means there's a monthly discount). If the existing account has a monthly discount, forgot Apple retail store because they will not allow you to buy it from there and you will have to go to ATT retail store.

You could take the FAN discount off the family line and than go to the Apple Store but you better inform the account holder that it could take 2-3 months for the monthly discount to be reapplied to monthly bill.

5. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

Apple store. AT&T barely receive any iPhones nowadays... Apple Store will definitely be a huge wait though no questions asked.

6. jakeacc macrumors regular

A good thing that my local Apple store does (probably other branches do the same) is that if you wait in line, they will let you know if they have the model of your choice in stock. (so you dont have to wait in line for 4 hours to find out that there are no more 16 black models) They even stop letting more people join the line once they know they don't have enough for more people. And if the store ends up CLOSING before you get a chance to get a phone, they give you a slip of paper that you can bring in the next day to pick up your phone. (no line waiting)

7. Chodite macrumors 6502a

Chodite

APPLE STORE

I walked into one yesterday morning and walked out with a new 3G iPhone in 15 minutes. No line, nothing.

My AT&T store? 10-21 days. No thanks.

8. Aiphanes macrumors regular

Aiphanes

Forget the apple stores...in the big cities like San Antonio and Dallas and Houston and even Austin...they sell out by the end of the day...so you have to camp out or waste a day to try and get one..

Order from ATT...the turn around time is about a week.

I just went and ordered a black 16gb Iphone 3G at a ATT store in SA. I should have it next week.

Forget about getting an iphone 3g at an apple store on the weekend.

But if you must get it from a Apple store...go on Wensdays...that is the day they get the biggest shipment...but remember most busy Apple stores, the line to process is at least an hour.

9. Chodite macrumors 6502a

Chodite

I live in a big city (Baltimore) and my Apple store has had shipments every other day now with lines of 5 people max @ open.

10. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

Go to AT&T's site and put in your zip code and find the closest stores to youy

Call them up and check yourself. It is that easy