Looking for a 3Gs case

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by The Big Al, Aug 10, 2010.

1. The Big Al macrumors newbie

I just bought a 3Gs... ya I know old tech. However, I am very rough on phones. They get a lot of use. My old phone (an ancient Blackjack) had a screen so scratched I could barely see through it. The phone lives in my pocket, the center console of my truck and in general, I don't treat the phone as though it were an egg about to crack.

Now I know I should be careful, however I don't feel like I should have to treat my phone as though it were a piece of delicate china. I want to be able to actually USE my phone rather than show off how cool I am because I have an iPhone. I have tried a couple of different covers for it, but they have either fit poorly or are so sticky that they won't go into my pocket smoothly and then want to turn my pocket inside out when I remove it.

I need a cover that is inexpensive, not bulky, and not sticky. I want it to slide into my pocket and come out with ease. It doesn't have to be flashy. Along that same vein I am looking for a screen protector that will mimic the bare screen. I have noticed that the iPhone screen seems to be self cleaning of sorts. It gets fingerprints on it sure, but it seems to be able to shed those and wipe smooth and clean, even if I just put it in my pocket. I have tried a couple screen protectors of two different brands I found at my local Wal-mart, but didn't really like them. One reason was I kept getting them on a little crooked and a small corner would poke over the edge of the screen onto the silver trim and after a couple of days that edge would begin to peel up and eventually the whole protector would be peeling off. I FINALLY got a protector to be evenly placed on the screen and it seems to be holding up, it just gets dirty easily and is a bit difficult to keep clean. However, it seems stuck to the phone which is fine by me as it's the screen I am more worried about protecting and could really care less about how many scratches the back of the phone gets.

A cover would be nice in that it would help absorb any shock from dropping the phone and to make the screen protector last longer as it would cover the edges and keep it from peeling up...

2. KameronBriggs macrumors 6502

KameronBriggs

3. saxon48 macrumors 6502a

saxon48

4. Zepaw macrumors 65816

Zepaw

I had a Blue PDO Silk Slider case and loved it. Dropped it a ridiculous number of times and the case always took the damage instead of my phone. :p The color looks very nice and it has a good feel to it. Also it is lined inside so it does not scratch up the back of your iPhone.

5. normwood macrumors 6502a

normwood

I have an barely used Otterbox Defender for 3g / 3gs that I have been meaning to post up for sale. PM me if you are interested. $30 shipped USPS 1st class if your in the continental U.S. A little extra if you want to use Paypal.

I can take and e-mail photos if you like. It in the original packaging with the belt holster.

Steve

6. KentuckyHouse macrumors 68020

KentuckyHouse

I've still got a 3GS and there are two cases I would recommend without hesitation...

For the first 6 months, I used the Otterbox Commuter (not Commuter TL) and absolutely loved it. Then, a couple of weeks ago, I decided to try something else (I have case OCD...I get bored easily). I saw a Speck Candyshell in my local Office Depot, popped it on the phone and really liked it. But I wasn't gonna pay $35 for it...lol.

Checked out eBay and found tons of them for $10-$15. Sold. I picked up the white version with black silicone interior. It took me a couple of days to really take to it (I still love the Commuter and will probably get another one soon...the silicone has stretched on the original just a little, so another reason for the change). But after using it for over a week now, I can see why people like the Candyshell so much!

One thing I was missing from the Commuter, though, was the built-in dock and headphone jack protectors. I love those things, but the Candyshell doesn't have them built in. So, back to eBay I went and found some headphone jack plugs and stopped by my local Radio Shack for the dock protectors. It's a great set up!

As far as the screen protector goes, I've had the anti-glare Power Support on there since day one and I couldn't be happier with it. Yeah, it diminishes the screen just a tad, but it's worth it because it doesn't show facial oil and fingerprints as much.

BTW, the Commuter can also be found on eBay for a little over $20 too.