Looking for a 4S case recommendation

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by loudguitars, Oct 7, 2011.

1. loudguitars macrumors member

I just ordered my 4S, and I was looking for some good case recommendations since it seems to be compatible with a lot of iPhone 4 cases, and I'd like to have the case on hand before the 4S shows up.

Here are my requirements:

1) Must be protective, because I drop my phone constantly. Will sacrifice some thinness for protection, though I don't think I'm willing to go quite as thick as, say, the Otterbox Defender. Ideally, I'd get a Speck Candyshell except I've heard it doesn't comply with...

2) Must be able to take a dock connector cord for charging/line out to my car stereo without being removed from the case.

3) Must be able to use more than just the super-skinny Apple headphones with it without removing it from the case.

4) Must be relatively easy to pry out of a jeans pocket, therefore fairly smooth. Again, I would go for the Speck Candyshell if I hadn't read so many complaints about not being able to charge it in the case with a standard iPhone cable.

Any suggestions? And if you do have a Candyshell, are the reviews I've read wrong about being able to put in the dock connector cord?

2. jrodsep macrumors 6502

jrodsep

Go for the Candyshell or Flip variant. The updated Candyshell has a wider opening for the dock connector and if that doesn't work you can always use the Candyshell Flip which has a "hinge" on the bottom part of the case so you can put it in a dock. I for one have tried both cases and they work perfectly and offer great protection for the phone.

3. loudguitars thread starter macrumors member

I'd prefer to avoid the Flip variant because I just know I'll wind up absent-mindedly flipping it back and forth until it breaks (I am a serious fidgeter). But definitely good to know that newer versions are better about being able to fit a dock connector cord without issue.

4. jrodsep macrumors 6502

jrodsep

Actually I have never had a problem with any of the Candyshell versions with the original dock connector. But I know that Speck made the dock connector hole a little bit bigger in later versions.