Looking for a 6 inch tablet

Discussion in 'Alternatives to iOS and iOS Devices' started by bwillard92, Oct 11, 2014.

1. bwillard92 macrumors newbie

I already own a Samsung Galaxy Tab 4 7.0 but once the Fire HD 6 was announced I decided 6 inch would be better for me.

The only problem with Fire HD 6 is that I don't really like Amazon's forked version of Android. I can't seem to find any other 6 inch tablets though. Now I'm wondering what about a phablet as a tablet.

The 5.5 inch phablets that I found that I like are the Oneplus one and the HTC Desire 816.

The 6 inch phablets that I found that I like are the Huawei Ascend Mate 2 and the Sony Xperia Z Ultra.

Would I miss that half inch of screen real estate? Also are there any 6 inch tablets?

2. samiznaetekto macrumors 65816

Same here. Wanted a 6" tablet, with a good stylus, so settled on getting Note 4 soon. I don't need it as a phone, so I'm overpaying while a tablet would suffice, but it seems to be just perfect for my needs.

3. aeboi macrumors 65816

aeboi

You can get the vanilla android Z Ultra for like $335. I had it and it was alright, although the ascend has a much better battery

4. bwillard92 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I was looking at that but decided against it since I already have 7 inch tablet and the ultra z has a 6.44 inch screen.

After doing more searching I think I've narrowed it down to the Nexus 6 if it's 5.9 inches like the rumors say, the Oneplus One and the HTC Desire 816. The Huawei Ascend is nice and all but I've read that Huawei doesn't have a good track record when it comes to updates.

5. JunBringer macrumors member

JunBringer

The Z Ultra is under $300 now if price was an issue. I really enjoyed it until I broke mine :(

6. Savor Suspended

Savor

Read Xperia Z Ultra is pretty fantastic and the battery life on the Ascend Mate 2 is excellent. Can't really go wrong with either. But if you prefer closer to a stock Android build, go with the Sony. I don't think Huawei's Emotion UI is for everybody. It looks to iOS-ish. No app drawer and there are certain glitches. Customization isn't as deep as Cyanogen Mod 11s or MIUI. Also Huawei does make their own SoC if isn't MediaTek. I say always go for the Qualcomm 'dragons. Anything with 800 or above generally are efficient on battery with the right amount of mAh.