Looking for a better hard drive for my 15"

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by DarkestWall, Apr 22, 2011.

1. DarkestWall macrumors newbie

I have a 15" 2.53 Core 2 Duo Macbook Pro. I want a new hard drive in the 500 GB range or more if possible.

Not looking to spend TOO much, but I will pay for something quality. Any recommendations?

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

SEARCH is your friend.

I've said it before--this has been asked and answered ad nauseum here.

3. Frankydan100 macrumors regular

Frankydan100

4. DarkestWall thread starter macrumors newbie

And it will continue to be asked because the best options for hard drives will continue to be improved upon :D

I actually did search, but the problem with searches is you get a TON of older threads. I'm looking for people who can point me in the right direction for what they know of to be the best options NOW.

I'm sure I don't have to tell you how fast the industry moves.

5. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

Check out the WD Scorpio Black 500 or 750GB. Good speed, quiet, cool, big, and not too expensive.

6. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Snore.

Your question has been discussed ad nauseum VERY recently, and no, hard drives don't change every day/week/month. Model number changes don't count--but I'm sure I don't have to tell you that.

Do your research--you'll find that just about every hard drive that is available for the MBPs have been (exhaustively) discussed.

7. DarkestWall thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes the hard drives don't change that frequently, but the prices and best places to buy from do in fact change. Information and opinions change very frequently on those same hard drives as well.

And as I said, I did search, but I preferred to hear recent opinions from people I can actually ask questions to.

Or you can continue to post "DO A SEARCH" in every thread like this that comes up and will continue to come up. Sorry you are bored on the subject, but it won't stop people from asking. That's what these forums are for.

8. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

You have no reason to be defensive when a socially clueless poster criticizes your good faith question instead on trying to provide a useful answer or simply keeping quiet. That kind of ill tempered nonsense is the nature of the Internet, I suppose, but it doesn't make it any easier to take.

How big is your current hard drive and is it too small or too slow? In short, why do you want to add a new hard drive to your MBP? Perhaps if you could give us that information we might be in a better position to advise you.

9. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Usually, upgrading the HDD to a faster HDD is not a huge performance gain, but if you have the 250GB Fujitsu in yours, a faster HDD will make an impressive difference as that 250 is sloooooooooooooooooow. It's one of the slowest hard drives on tests that examine literally hundreds of modern drives.

I am all about the WD Scorpio and Caviar Black; a 7500 RPM Black series is quiet, reliable, energy efficiency, and about as fast as a reasonably priced HDD can get. Of course, even the cheapest SSDs will blow the best enterprise grade hard drives away in both speed and reliability, but their costs limit their usefulness to users needing over 256GB of internal storage.

10. NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

+1

Not much performance gain but you can notice that large files and apps opens a bit faster. Whats the hard drive you have currently? If its the normal 5200 rpm stock HD, you're definitely ready for an upgrade.

11. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

12. NZed, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011

NZed macrumors 65816

NZed

13. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

I bought one as well (2 days ago). I installed it, immediately applied the SD25 firmware update, then installed OS X.

Runs NICE.

14. StandardMeth0d macrumors member

StandardMeth0d

I'm looking for a replacement drive for my MBP, as well. When I had the uMB, I had installed a WD Scorpio Black. It performed well, but it was considerably louder and vibrated more than the stock hd. So for my new laptop, I wanted something big (ideally 750gb), yet quiet, to go along with my SSD boot-drive.

Any reccomendations?

15. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

A lot of guys here have said the SpinPoints are pretty quiet, but I haven't used them myself. I never found the Scorpio Black to be very audible, but I probably have worse hearing than you and most other people on this forum from my subwoofer days :p

Is the Black you are running now the 320GB w/ 16 cache?

16. StandardMeth0d macrumors member

StandardMeth0d

I'm not sure; I don't have it anymore so I can't give you the exact model. It was probably the one with most reviews on Newegg since that's how I used to usually shop..lol.

However, I have heard that Spinpoints are pretty quiet, too, I'm just somewhat wary of non-WD brands' reliability. I've always had luck with WD and never really tried any other brand besides a Hitachi or two before.

17. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

SpinPoints are pretty well rated. I love the Scorpio and Caviar lines from WD, but WD also makes some of the worst hard drives on the market. Most of the makers have higher end performance HDDs (such as the Scorpio Black), which seem to not only be faster and more expensive, but also more reliable.