Looking for a cable(?) to play iPhone through Home Theater System

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by joflo723, Nov 9, 2011.

1. joflo723 macrumors member

We have a Samsung HT-C550 Surround Sound system hooked up to our TV currently via an HDMI cable. It came with a dock for iPhone, which is really cool; however, as far as I can tell, you can only access your iTunes library to play through the system using the dock. I don't use iTunes for music. I have Napster (soon to be Rhapsody) and I use Pandora regularly.

What I want to do is play my non-iTunes music (so basically any iPhone sounds) through the surround sound system. Can anyone recommend what I need to make this happen? What type of cables, docks, adapters, etc.? Probably need to also be able to charge while playing as well.

Thanks!

2. al0513 macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

Maybe this?

Doesnt charge but gets the work done. I dont think you can use any other type of music players on your iphone with a connecter connected for playing music, like your dock.

3. thedward macrumors newbie

4. al0513 macrumors 6502

First one looks like an over priced set.

I just use a $7 Monster cable. Dont remember if I bought it on sale or not though.

5. SipperyPete macrumors regular

By an Apple TV, connect it via HDMI your home theater system and stream music & movies wirelessly from your iPhone.

:cool:

6. TrulyYuki macrumors 6502

TrulyYuki

Monster cables are the best!

7. SAL8116 macrumors regular

SAL8116

8. takeshi74 macrumors 601

The dock doesn't offer line out? Even if you control the iPhone directly (i.e. not using the Samsung remote)?

Not true and depends on the interface. I play Pandora and pretty much anything using Apple's universal dock. The iPod interface on my car, on the other hand, only handles the stock music app.

That's ironic... Just use a cable from Monoprice. Monster's always overpriced.

9. al0513 macrumors 6502

hm. considering these cables are usually $3.99 or $4.99 for a no name brand, I think $7 for a name brand cable that has extra padding on the outside isnt bad at all.

And BTW, i bought it because I lost my other wire, needed it ASAP so didnt have the time to order it off line. thanks for the advice though. :cool:

10. joflo723 thread starter macrumors member

Well paint my nails red and call me Sally. I was actually able to *trick* (I think) the dock into playing Pandora.

When I put the iPhone in the dock that came with the surround sound system and set the mode to iPod, it brought up my iTunes library, which has a whopping one song in it. So I started playing that song...really for no other reason than a sound check. However, I noticed that Pandora, which I had previously been playing, just through my iPhone speaker, had stopped, and said at the bottom "No Volume Available". Just for kicks, I hit play and lo and behold, the thing started playing on my home theater system. It still has the artist info from my iTunes library on the screen of my TV, but the sound is Pandora. Works for me!

Thanks everyone for the suggestions!