Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DenalB

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2019
Berlin, Germany
I'm a little confused. Since a few days I'm looking for a calendar app that can send its own notifications. But I didn't found an app that works...

Actually I have to use the iOS stock calendar app for my business. So I don't want to mix my private events into it. That's why I'm looking for a 3rd party calendar app. I want to use it with the iCloud family calendar. The app should notify me if a family member creates or changes an event. But I don't want to have the stock calendar app notifying me.

That's how notification setting in iOS look like for the stock calendar app.

image.jpg

When creating or changing an event all my family members get notifications for that. They are using the stock calendar app. But when they create or change an event I don't get notifications. Actually I disabled some of the notifications for the iOS calendar app. I thought that this could be the reason for 3rd party apps not to notify me. But I tried some of the 3rd party calendar apps on devices of my family. They have all notifications for the stock calendar app activated. And they also get no notifications from 3rd party apps tested on these devices.

We are using an iPhone SE, iPhone 6s and an iPhone 8 Plus with iOS 13.6 installed.

These are the apps I tried. Some of them I tried in free mode and some of them I bought but got a refund because they didn't work as expected for me.

If possible I tried not to use the local calendar instead connecting to iCloud directly.

I don't know what's wrong. All apps I tried had the right to send and show notifications in iOS notifications setting. If possible I would prefer to have such a calendar app in German language. And if possible I don't like to use a subscription app but I would like to do a one-time payment. Hopefully the calendar app should work on iPad 2019 and Apple Watch 5 too.

Any suggestions which app should work?

Last edited:

DenalB

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 7, 2019
Berlin, Germany
It's quite a wile since I asked this question.

In the meantime I tried some things and again some calendar apps from above and I think I found out that none of the 3rd party calendar apps is able to show such notifications when a family member added, changed or deleted an entry in the iCloud family calendar.

Also, there are other restrictions from Apple with the iCloud family calendar. When I change the notification time of an event none of my family members gets this change. The notification in their calendars is still set to none. That's very annoying not to be able to use the iCloud family calendar as wished.

Now I enabled my own CalDAV calendar on all devices, and so we're using this to manage our events. It works fine and if someone from my family changes the notification time it is set on all devices. ;)

Actually we are using Calendar 366 Pro on all devices, and we are happy with this choice. ?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.