Looking for a case for a 3GS

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by xStarchildx, May 14, 2010.

1. xStarchildx macrumors newbie

I've had the Incipio Feather for some time but I dropped the phone and the case sort of fractured. The small part above the hole for the headphone jack is fractured, as well as the one for the volume buttons (it didn't come off, but the phone doesn't fit as well now).

Anyways, I'm looking for a new case. I need one that is prominent (comes above the chrome bezel so if I drop the phone on its top the case will take the damage).
    Additional things I'm looking for:

-Nice grip (better than naked)
    -NOT silicone. I hate this material. It feels simply disgusting to me.
    -Not TOO rough. I hate it when it's hard to pull the phone out of the pocket. Not too smooth too of course, cause I need a somewhat good grip (I don't have a tendency to drop stuff, just looking to be safe)
    -Nice design
    -Nor too thick or heavy (bulk?)
    -Mild drop protection

I've considered to go for the Incase slider but heard it has a tendency to scratch the back of the phone (wouldn't want that).
    Candyshell by Speck - I heard there is no "feedback" whatsoever when pressing the volume buttons.
    The chrome Incase slider might be good but I'm not sure about the chrome finish.

Thanks

2. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

I'm a big fan of the Incipio NGP and similar cases (e.g. Solo and Solo FX and knockoffs). All of them cover the bezel and aren't horribly thick, yet feel like they'd provide a decent amount of protection for relatively minor drops. I have several of these (both NGP and Solo FX and a boatload of knockoffs) and haven't noticed any deformation or yellowing over time (but I don't have the clear (colorless) ones, either.) If you opt to go with a knockoff, be warned that not all of them are created equal--some don't have the areas over the buttons raised so you can't raise/lower volume without looking. Some don't have the area over the buttons recessed enough on the inside of the case so the case is always pushing on the buttons, and some don't have the cutouts lined up very well (which is also sometimes the case with the Solo FX). That said, there are some knockoffs out there that are very well made and I wouldn't hesitate to get them again, especially at the prices you can find them for on ebay.

If I had to pick just one, I'd go Incipio NGP. I get bored with cases quickly (sick of looking at the same one all the time) and rotate through the lot I have pretty often, but one I ALWAYS come back to is my NGP. Hope that helps!

ETA: I have a couple of Candyshells also and what you heard was right--there's very little to no tactile feedback when pressing buttons. They're built like brick sh*thouses, but you can't tell whether or not you've turned the phone off half the time.

3. hushmartin macrumors 6502

It's true about the buttons on the candyshell, but if you want protection its hard to beat. That said, I _LOVE_ my Speck SeeThru. It's the same kind of form as the Candyshell, but its much thinner and less bulky. Still provides good protection. The volume buttons on the Seethru are much better, when you push them you can feel them give, there is feedback.

I would definitely consider the Seethru or Seethru satin.

I looked at the incase sliders (metallic, chrome, and regular) and I just didn't like that there wasn't really anything holding the two halves together, or the fact that it would almost definitely scratch the back AND the bezel.

4. SurferMan macrumors 65816

I love my Otter Box Defender Case. So used to it now when I take the phone out to clean once in awhile I have hard time using the phone as forgot how small it is. The defender case just feels so good and perfect when holding it. Plus it will take drops and hard abuse no problem. I had to do the baby powder trick to get rid of the "oil" bubble from the cover screen.

5. alamperti macrumors member

alamperti

@xStarchildx I've found the Belkin Grip Vue a great case, well made with high quality TPU for the Clear version. It won't add too much bulk and let you enjoy the sleek look of your iPhone providing enough protection :)

6. Blueline29 macrumors 68020

Blueline29

A note on the See-Thru-- they're great cases and very stylish as long as you don't plan to take them off very often. Those things are hard as a MOTHER to get off your phone. I strained and strained with mine, to the extent that I was seriously afraid of cracking my phone; my fingers were sore for a couple of hours afterward, no exaggeration. They look cool and if you're a "one case only"-type person, I'd also recommend them. If you're a case ho like me, though, you might be advised to stay away. :p

7. iZac macrumors 68000

iZac

I recommend a foofpod that way you actually have the pleasure of touching your phone, and appreciating its svelteness and design every time you use it, rather than hiding it inside a case that gets filled with dust and pocket lint. It has the added benefit of a wool lining that cleans the screen every time you slide it in.

Historically I've always preferred slip cases, I had one of the 1st nanos off the production line and pinched my partners branded slip case when they started shipping with them.

8. hushmartin macrumors 6502

HA HA! That's True...sort of. Yes, they aren't meant to be taken off and put on every single day. But, the case is thin enough I haven't had any problem with it fitting into docks or my car holder. I say "sort of" true also because there is a technique to removing the case. If you do it right its rather easy. I think most people just aren't doing it quite right. FYI, there is a tutorial on the speck website.

9. rkswat macrumors regular

Incase slider FTW! By far my favorite case. It does not "come apart" like someone above thought it might. As far as it scratching your phone it has not been an issue with mine. The thing that scratches it is the dust that gets in the case that rubs your phone, for me the case has done nothing.

I like being naked better but dropped my phone to much..... funny, sense having the ICS I have yet to drop it. You bet if I took it out it would be on the ground/floor in no time lol.

10. hushmartin macrumors 6502

I've tried the newer sliders, and they are all looser- thus more prone to coming apart unexpectedly. It just doesn't seem like it would protect worth a darn in a drop. I had even worse problems with the iFrogz cases, I HATE them- Cheap pieces of junk IMO. I'm sticking with cases that either have some kind of latching mechanism or are one piece.

11. xStarchildx thread starter macrumors newbie

First thanks a lot for your comments guys, I appreciate it :)

Think I might go with the Speck Seethru (you all referred to the V2, right?)
    It looks pretty slim and nice. I also love the look of the iPhone so the fact it's transparent is a thumbs up for me.
    Also I do not plan to change the case/take it off in high frequencies - probably never actually.
    I have a black iPhone and I'm not sure which one I should go with. The black one attracts me more actually. Though the clear one is also okay on a black iPhone. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwsip7pwgBA - this vid helped me a lot).

Can anyone point out how the grip is? Does it feel nice when holding?
    Also, it's kind of hard to tell from videos - does it have face down protection? (I'm not expecting it to protect the front part from drops on pointy surfaces, just a flat surface, worst case scenario a sidewalk).

Last note is, if anyone might know about a certain fact about the Seethru V2 that might be a deal breaker - it'd be nice to know.

thanks

12. hushmartin macrumors 6502

I have the Aqua Seethru on a black 3GS, and it looks SO cool. At least I think so. I am tempted to buy a couple more in different colors. :eek: The edge of the Seethru is rubberized, firm but softer than the plastic of the back. It provides excellent grip, I definitely don't feel like it will slide out of my hand. It slides well enough in and out of pockets, not as well as a completely hard case like a slider, but well enough.

It's built like the Candyshell, so that the case is slightly deeper than the phone is thick, which makes for a lip all around the edge. If you drop it flat on, say concrete, the face won't make contact with the face. I'm case crazy, and the Seethru is my favorite so far.

13. leepetersonuk macrumors member

Incase slider for me, been using one for ages and didn't scratch back. Case did flake a bit but I think that's fixed now.

14. elephunkman macrumors 65816