Looking for a case like this...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jimmy Guphanti, Jun 1, 2015.

1. Jimmy Guphanti macrumors 6502

Hi,

I am looking for a case for my 15" retina MacBook Pro (not a sleeve or a bag) but a case that attaches to the screen and to the lower portion of the computer that can protect against drops and has holes for vents.

I cannot seem to find one as the accessories for sale are mostly bags and sleeves, and the case market is kind of limited.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

2. Jozone macrumors 6502

3. Jimmy Guphanti thread starter macrumors 6502

I had the Speck case and it was cheap plastic that a lot of people reported snapping where it latches on and I was not satisfied with the protection.

4. Jozone macrumors 6502

Yeah, they are definitely not the most rugged, but in my experience with Speck, they are good about their warranty. I had a case from them that had broken down with less than a year of use - Speck replaced the case for me when I supplied them my proof of purchase info. Might be worth looking into.

Seems like the only other other options out there are the abundant eBay knockoffs.

5. Jimmy Guphanti thread starter macrumors 6502

http://store.apple.com/us/product/H...e-for-15-inch-macbook-pro-with-retina-display

What about this one? It seems a bit pricey and also people complain of it marking the computer. I guess that is the kind of thing I am going for.

6. Jozone macrumors 6502

Yikes! Too rich for my blood, didn't realize hard shells had become that expensive.

All hard shells will run the risk of marking the computer, as good as any shell claims to be, they inevitably get debris between the Macbook and the shell, which will mark when pressure is applied to the area. If you do get a hardshell, its always important to regularly clean off both the inside of its surfaces and the outside enclosure of your MacBook.

7. definitive macrumors 68000

definitive

A cover like mentioned above won't protect the laptop from a drop, and they usually sell for ~$15-20 on EBay from China. Very similar quality to the $50-100 covers.

8. glenthompson macrumors 68000

glenthompson

It's probably limited because people have realized how poorly they protect the computer. Best way to prevent damage from drops is to not use the MBP anywhere it's likely to fall. That means in bed, on the sofa, or walking around. No hard case is going to provide much protection from a drop onto a hard surface. Might help a little bit onto carpet.

IMHO such cases are ugly, interfere with the operations of the device, and more likely to damage it than protect it. Use it on a desk and put it into a proper bag when transporting it. My MBP is 3.5 years old and is in excellent condition. It has never had a hard case on it.

9. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The tech21 is rubber lines. It protects a lot better than the speck cases of old.

10. placidity44 macrumors 6502

placidity44

This exactly. I had a speck shell on my 2010 15" MBP and my hinges got worn out really quickly. It's unnecessary strain on the hinges, also it offers very little protection. You drop it on a hard surface it's going to get dinged. It also looks terrible covering up the design, expensive, etc. I wouldn't waste the money on one again. Get a sleeve to put it in. Much better idea.