Looking for a case, not too bulky, very minimalist?

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by musika, Nov 14, 2011.

1. musika macrumors 65816

musika

Before you attack me, I've been all over the forums for days but I still can't find what I'm looking for.

I love the Speck CandyShell for protection, but it's a little too bulky and has the dreaded flaking problem.

Stuff like the Feather and the Incase Snap I can't stand because the top and bottom aren't covered.

What I'd really, really love is a case that has the great features of the Apple Bumper (Metal Buttons, fully covered sides), but with a back or more protection.

There must be something I'm missing, but so far 3GS cases seemed a lot easier to find when I had one.

Someone help! I'm currently using a Bumper on somedays, Pixelskin on other days. I can't seem to find what I am looking for.

2. thatdrewguy macrumors regular

3. Baggy Spandex macrumors 6502

Baggy Spandex

I love my Desmay, but it is minimalist in every sense of the word. If you want scratch protection and prefer plastic to vinyl skins, this is the way to go.

:edit: I'm very confused by the above image....a 4S on T-Mobile? Factory unlocked?

4. French macrumors regular

I admittedly do not have this case...but it is one of the two (the other being the "colors" case by the same company) I had boiled it down to for myself. My priorities were the same as yours...I wanted something with button covers to make using the buttons easier, and back protection.

So I can't personally recommend it but can only say that if the cheap bumper I hadn't found on ebay or wherever it was, wasn't working out, I'd be buying this case. I ended up with a bumper I found for $7 (2 of them, actually) and bought a Lucky Labs white sticker thingie to protect the back.

I wil likely still end up ordering one of these before it's all said and done because I really like how they look.

5. thatdrewguy macrumors regular

AT&T 4S bought at apple store for full retail, no contract price = unlocked 4S.

6. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

Either this or the European T-Mobile iPhone.

7. TheiPhoneChick macrumors 6502

TheiPhoneChick

8. Black Dawg Down macrumors member

This is also what I'm still looking for!

So far I've found:

- TPU cases (transparent) will turn yellow sooner or later
    - Thin hard plastic cases always have the top and bottom exposed (except Desmay, but I'd just install a skin and it looks better)
    - Switcheasy Nudes have the top and bottom covered but they are glossy as hell. Will be covered in a million scratches in no time.
    - Alumunium bumpers reduce signal

This leaves plastic bumpers and I'm waiting for my SGP Neo Hybrid 2 EX.

9. musika thread starter macrumors 65816

musika

Decided to stick with the Apple Bumper (+ shields). I'm loving it :)

10. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

how do you feel the apple bumper would hold up in a drop? I've been known to run with my phone in my hoodie pocket (front pockeet) and it fall out mid-stride. How well does apple bumper seem to hold up to the inevidible drop?

11. musika thread starter macrumors 65816

musika

I'm pretty careful with my stuff, so I'll probably be fine. After my iPhone 2G, I'll never keep my phone in my front hoodie pocket again! If you can avoid those obviously dangerous things, then it should hold up fine. It's not the MOST protective at all, however, the sides being protected really will help distribute the force & shock through the silicone, instead of into the phone. Basically, be careful, and it should do it's job. Accidents happen, but it absolutely feels like it will help.

AppleCare+ helps too :)

12. Leonard1818 macrumors 68020

I try so hard to be careful however in the last year I'd say I've dropped my phone about 4 or 5 times on a hard surface (non-carpet).

I'm still trying to decide what direction to go in with the whole case thing. There are so many options and so many brands it gets very confusing!!

13. Drunken Master macrumors 65816

Drunken Master

A lot of people on Amazon say these cases scratch easily, reflect the flash and are hard to take off...is that true?

14. TheiPhoneChick macrumors 6502

TheiPhoneChick

The case is hard plastic so it does scratch up but I have a white iphone so you don't see it. I don't have problems taking it off though. You do have to take your time taking it off or you will break or bend it but I haven't had that problem either. The flash seems to be ok so far, can't say for sure because I haven't had the need to use my camera much. Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

15. charlesdayton macrumors 6502a

I saw a video on youtube, a kid dropped the iPhone 4 in a bumper from 6 feet in height and it survived only with dings to the bumper. He finally was able to break it by dropping it from a two stories height. Curiously the whole thing was sponsored by a phone insurance company so I expected it was going to break on the first fall.

16. musika thread starter macrumors 65816

musika

Watched the same thing last night! :)

17. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

This one looks like the desmay slight...but it is a hardshell slider type case with a felt lining to protect your glass back and rubberized coating. Love it. Skech/casemate. It is my go to case when thinness is required.

Attached Files:

18. harrydv macrumors newbie

I love slim case. It is not bulky, but most of them can't protect the front of iphone

19. clumsythief83 macrumors regular

That one looks pretty good. Which one is it?

20. peapody macrumors 68040

peapody

Skech or casemate. Different companies but they make the same thing.

Here are some REALLY quick pics. Sorry for the quality..but you can see how thin the case is. Has everything I need and no gigantic bezel either.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21. esploded macrumors regular

-Switcheasy Trim
    -Casecrown metallic glider (from what I've heard, it's super thin)

22. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

You might want to check out the Incase Hybrid Cover. It's a matte polymer, with a glossy bottom part that makes it look like a removable slider bottom, but is in fact a one piece case. I love mine (in black). Good protection, not too bulky, and not something you see every day.

[​IMG]

23. minimo3 macrumors regular

I found the Skech version - Hard rubber, but I can't seem to find it on the casemate website. The closest one is the Barely There but that's hard plastic. Do you happen to know what the Case Mate version is called?