Looking for a case the protects the glass screen

Discussion in 'iPod touch Accessories' started by TMC2k1, Dec 6, 2008.

1. TMC2k1 macrumors member

I am looking for a case that protects the screen from a drop. I have seen plenty of great cases for the iPod Touch, but I don't think any of them will protect the ipod touch if it falls face first on the ground. Are there any cases that will protect the screen from a drop?

Thanks

2. ThunderBull4 macrumors 6502

Well protectors in general will protect the screen from scatches, but when you drop it, it's a different story. If you drop it face first onto anything but a flat surface, it could crack the screen regardless of what's protecting it. The screen is just like a normal glass sheet, it can only take so much pressure until it shatters.

3. Brewerpaul macrumors regular

Anything thicker and more protective than those thin plastic protectors would turn your device into an iPod Touchless...[​IMG]

4. quick5pnt0 macrumors regular

Well I guess there is the possibility that a case could have a flap that you open when you want to use it but at some point you're going to have such a large case trying to protect this thing that you'll have lost the entire point of having a small device to begin with.

5. TMC2k1 thread starter macrumors member

So what case are you saying will protect the screen if i drop it face first onto a flat surface?

6. mooreman macrumors newbie

You're wasting your time trying to find one, I've searched all this year with different manufacturers and nobody is making what you're talking about (that I have found). For some reason, people on this site (no offense) don't seem to understand the need or concept for such a case, and most times you get useless advice/comments as evidenced in the posts above.
    I currently own a Dell Axim X50v and have a "Magnesium" hard case with a flip-over screen shield made by Innopocket. As most people know, the Dell Axim is ALSO a touch screen device (tho not conductive like the Touch) and in the 3 years or so that I have owned it, it has been dropped, kicked, sat on and knocked around, but that hard case has saved it, and does NOT add much to the overall bulk of the device or decrease functionality. Hard as it may be to believe, not many people buy the Touch because of form factor, but for the feature set it brings to the plate and as such, the thought of a case that protect the entire device is highly desireable. My advice would be to keep watching Innopocket's website or maybe even contact them to see what's in development. Good luck and by all means, post back if you find one.

7. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

Any of the cases that have a flap that covers the screen. I know Griffin Technologies makes at least two for the 1G Touch, so odds are they also made the same ones for the 2G touch.

For my 1G I had the one that used magnets on the flap and had no problems with that, but others here did and I took it back just in case problems developed. I then got on with a hard case enclosure (without a flap) that does make the Touch bigger, but that was not a concern for me.

Their cases are at the link below

http://www.griffintechnology.com/category/cases

Mike

8. ibridget macrumors newbie

My daughter bought me this case http://www.dlo.com/products/hc_folio_touch_Prod.tpl?command=showpage&cart=1152296895214404
    and I love it, wouldn't be without it. Mind you yes it has a flip cover, but with the magnetic closures it stays shut. I suppose if you really wanted added protection, you could try buying some little round adhesive velcro dots and put them in the inside of the cover. I also use a screen guard/shield. So far, (knock on wood) no scratches, no drops, no problems! :)

9. TMC2k1 thread starter macrumors member

I'm very interested in the Switch Easy Rebel Touch. All the reviews have been positive for the most part and it looks like a great case. I noticed that the edges of the case are raised above the screen slightly. If i dropped this face first, would the raised edges be enough to make the screen not touch the floor? If so, that would be great!

10. mooreman macrumors newbie

11. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring