Looking for a cheap camcorder or vid capture setup..

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by shinji, Jul 15, 2009.

1. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

I want to record myself making a video walkthrough for an xbox 360 game...like record the gameplay and then me talking over it, giving hints, how you see other people doing it on youtube.

Don't really want to spend more than $200 if possible.

Am I better off with a camcorder or some type of video capture device? My mac is in another room, but I was thinking I could possibly connect a USB hard drive to the device. I also have a PC laptop I could setup for that.

If I go with a camcorder...there are cheapie Aiptek ones I could use for $100. Anyone using one of those?

2. MTI macrumors 65816

1) Buy an iPhone 3GS, if you don't already have one. Besides the videocam, you'll get a top notch phone. However, even with the 32GB model, your recording time will be somewhat limited, but just break the session into small segments

2) Get a DV camcorder, miniDV tape units are dirt cheap these days and you really won't need HD. Stay away from the DVD based camcorders due to some compatability issues, generally between Sony DVD and Apple. The DV video output, either live or tape, goes right into your computer in digital form.

3. shinji thread starter macrumors 65816

shinji

I have a 3G, not a 3GS. To upgrade it's what, $399? Because I know I don't get the new customer pricing, it's just the 'early upgrade pricing.' Too much.

miniDV's an idea...any brand/model recommendations?