Looking for a cheap laptop just for writing

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Bogie, Jul 13, 2007.

1. Bogie macrumors regular

I don't care if it's used, I just want to find a solid laptop for writing. I'm either going to get a used mac or one of those Asus 250.00 laptops in August. What do you recommend?

2. netdog macrumors 603

netdog

3. Bogie thread starter macrumors regular

Do you want me to buy a Dell? DO YOU!?!? :p

4. Airforce macrumors 6502a

Airforce

Go grab one of those Asus Eee PC this Fall :) Actually, it's only suppose to be around $190! Hell of a deal!

5. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

Why not get a used iBook? You could get a used one for next to nothing. A G4 would more than serve your purpose. Even a G3 would be fine.

6. devman macrumors 65816

devman

Yes, that's great advice. Exactly what I wanted to post. Get a used iBook G4.

7. mBurns macrumors 6502

I'd go for an old iBook/PowerBook G3. I think you can even get a PowerBook G3 (except for the Pismo) for either cheaper or around the same price as an iBook G3.

I have an iBook G3 Clamshell and absolutely love the thing. The best engineered machine I've ever used.

8. Quboid macrumors 6502

What kind of writing are we talking about here, lots and lots of writing, poetry, staying up late at night (i do that alot)?

Alot of those old and used g3's and so on have pretty dull screens. If you are going to be writing alot, you might want to take that into consideration. If you going solely on price points then i would choose the iBook g4.

9. Bogie thread starter macrumors regular

Well I will be doing a considerable amount of writing since I'm a screenwriter, but I don't intend to use it anywhere terribly exotic. This is just something to hold me over for about a year or so. I really just want something I can lounge with, write and maybe surf the net occasionally. Right now I'm looking at the Asus, the different ibooks and powerbooks and the IBM thinkpads (which supposedly have the absolute best keyboards for writers). I really don't want to go over 300 dollars if at all possible since I only intend to use it for a year.

10. Bogie thread starter macrumors regular

I'm seriously considering a clamshell ibook. They're under 200 on ebay. Any more opinions on these models?

11. ClassicBean macrumors 6502a

Yeah these are ok, but they can be kind of slow. Especially starting up the machine. You'll get longer life out of a G4. I'd also recommend getting the 14". I'm a writer myself and there's nothing worse than hunching over a 12" laptop. Even the 13" Macbooks seem insanely bigger. Ergo, I'd definitely stay away from the beyond-tiny Asus.

12. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I recommend a G4 or G3 iBook as well.

But seriously - you can't ask "Should I get a PC or a Mac" on a Mac forum!!!

13. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a

ricgnzlzcr

Shop on craigslist and look for a g3-g4 notebook in your price range. You'd be surprised by what you can find if you're lucky.

I picked up a 1.0 ghz 12 inch powerbook for $250 in perfect condition about a month ago. I doubt you might find something like that, but always keep trying to find the best deal.

14. Bogie thread starter macrumors regular

You know looking at these prices for these ibooks and powerbooks on eBay, I'm wondering if I ought to just suck it up and get a macbook and delay getting a macbook pro for a few years. I bought one when they first came out and my only real complaint with it was the sharp bezel which really starts to irritate the wrists after awhile.

15. Bogie thread starter macrumors regular

Well, nevermind the Macbook. I've fallen in love with the Sony Vaio CR Series. :D Problem solved.

16. Kaiser Phoenix macrumors 6502

The last gen ibooks were amazing. I highly recommend them.

17. Bogie thread starter macrumors regular

Okay, scratch the Vaio CR. Apparently it has problems with a loose battery. So, ibook G4 huh? What was the last rev on the 12" so I know what I'm looking for?

18. SuperCompu2 macrumors 6502a

SuperCompu2

The last Revs were 12"/1.33GHz and 14"/1.42GHz

Still speedy for today, and the 14" screen would be easy on the eyes (although I own an iBook G3 12" and I don't have any issues with the screen, it does however take some getting used to)

19. Bogie thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks! Yeah I think the 12 would be perfect for me because I usually use the laptop when laying down and I usually have it pretty close.

20. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

Just an advice, instead of using ebay, go on Craigslist or the MR marketplace. It's usually cheaper and you have less chances of a fraud. Also you don't have to pay for shipping if you can get it locally. People on ebay can pay crazy prices for computers.