Looking for a cheap usb 2.0 to vga adapter

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Apple.of.my.I, May 15, 2012.

1. Apple.of.my.I macrumors newbie

Hey guys, I'm looking for a cheap, descent usb 2.0 to vga adapter. I'm not worried about screen resolution too much. I'm running Protools 8 on a 2011 imac with the i5, 2.5ghz processor and if any of you are familiar with Protools recording software, you know that it is a dual screen program. I already have an external monitor connected via thunder bolt/display connection. I have the mac displaying the "edit" window and the external monitor displaying the "mix" window. It would be cool to have an additional 3rd monitor to display the plug-ins that I use and some of the other little windows that are populating the edit and mix windows. I've looked around a bit. I want to make sure it is compatible with my computer. I have seen some that require a power supply but seems a bit much. Any suggestion? Thanks.

2. Duckypoos macrumors member

word of caution with these types of adapters. I bought a similar device to add another monitor for using Ableton Live, and after a few uses the adapter went straight into the bin !!! It was so laggy that the VU meters, and automation indicators were not even sync'd to the track.

These adapters seem to be only really useful for office apps

My advice would be to get something like a matrox dualhead2go / triplehead2go

Hope that helps a little.