Looking for a College...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by iindigo, Dec 1, 2007.

1. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Hey guys, I know quite a number of you are (or recently were) college students, so maybe you could help me out here...

I'm looking for a college in the West Viriginia area (includes surrounding states, but would prefer Virginia if possible) that offers a good art/digital art program. Said program can be focused on graphic design, game design, or just about any other area of art on computers. If necessary I will go for a tech/IT type of course instead, but I really would prefer art.

I'm considering ITT because of their financing since I'm rather tight on cash, but I've some less than great things about them.

So what are your recommendations?

Thanks!
    John

2. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

I've heard good things about the University of Virginia. It's in Charlottesville, which isn't too far from WV. The coolest thing about UV, in my opinion, is that it was founded by Thomas Jefferson.

3. shecky Guest

shecky

virginia commonwealth has a very good graphic design program.

4. jng macrumors 65816

jng

I heard ITT is ****. Try using the college selector thing at Princeton Review. Don't rely on it entirely but it'll give you a list to start with.

5. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

I'll second VCU...excellent arts school, especially graphic design.

6. shecky Guest

shecky

and cheap as hell - i was looking there at grad school for my MFA and it would have run me $9000/year as an out of state resident. Yale was going to be more like $42,000. :eek:

7. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

When was that? VCU now runs about $18-20,000 per year for out-of-state in most undergrad and grad programs. Cheaper than the private schools, but still pricey. Of course, both public and private schools have financial aid, so that's just the sticker price.

8. shecky Guest

shecky

oops... you are right - i meant $9K/semester.

9. ShMac macrumors member

On some level, you get back out what you put into college no matter
    where you go. If you are motivated to learn your trade and put real
    effort forth you can get a good education anywhere.

That being said, there are other important factors...

Some programs take an abstract approach and others a specific
    technology approach. I prefer programs that teach in terms of
    the abstract ideas and principals.

Rather than learning specific
    technologies like how to use Photoshop, etc, etc you would learn
    the principals behind what graphical editing programs do. Then
    it is easier to understand any software that implements the same
    concept.

There are 3 major ways to go about college these days. I highly
    recommend going to a major university and getting involved in
    the university community. It is the best way to meet a wide
    variety of interesting, educated, and talented people.

At a university there will be campus jobs, campus transportation,
    probably some free entertainment, included computer and wireless
    access, campus groups and organizations. It is a whole lifestyle...

I would also recommend that you get a job directly related to
    your degree program if you do not already have one. You will
    have an employer and all of their computers and software to
    learn from and fall back on...this will put you ahead of many of
    your peers who spend their free time playing video games, etc.

You might want to consider opening up your search geographically.
    If you are going to spend 4-8 years of your life, you should aim
    at the best possible overall experience. Government loans suck
    but are easy to repay with a fresh degree if you are good at your
    craft.

I started at $6.75/hr with my first campus job and was making
    $18/hr my senior year. My first job after graduation paid $24/hr
    and in less than 3 months I was offered $29/hr at a different
    company. When I left the industry 4 years ago I was making
    $37.50/hr with about $20,000/yr in benefits and stock options.
    That was only about 2.5 years after graduation.

BEST OF LUCK!!! :D

10. iindigo thread starter macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Thank you everyone, all your posts are helpful to me. I'm still taking any recommendations that anybody might have, though...

11. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

12. shecky Guest

shecky

uhmm..... actually the art institutes are the worst art + design programs in the entire country. they are primarily a moneymaking business, not an educational institution.

13. Bow Rekk macrumors member

I was having a discussion today about how it is disgusting we, in the UK, have to pay £3070 in uni fees per year. This is nothing to what it appears you have to pay in America! I had no idea. I knew Harvard and the like charge obscene amounts, I suppose I have never really thought about it before.

If you are an international student here you have to pay a fair bit more, there are college fees which are between 4 and 6 thousand I think... If you are from outside the EU you have to pay even more too. I'm not really sure but I suppose it levels out if you come here from overseas.

14. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

It's not just Harvard. Pretty much any private college on the east coast seems to cost $35,000 to $50,000 a year. My sisters college is roughly $46,000/yr and unless you're very poor, or nonwhite you won't find yourself getting much, if any financial aid. Even state schools go over $30,000/yr for out of staters.

They also try to rip you off with various meal plans. Additionally they call a few times a year begging for money. My dad always responds "How about this, you reduce the tuition bill I pay and then I'll donate some money".

Then expect to pay a thousand or more on books.

Its ridiculous. Even though my family can afford to pay, $46,000 a year is a substantial amount of money.

15. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

You should try one of these books. I had one, I thought it was like the complete book of colleges and it was a Princeton Review book. It gave all kinds of stats including the ease of the application process to the acceptance rate. It also gave some insight into how it was rated for each of the major areas of study.

You want to go to a school that obviously is accredited as well as perhaps ones that have a lot to offer the art+design student. You'll also want to either talk to other students there or at least the staff. Talking to other students will give you an opinion that comes from your peers whereas talking to staff may try to sell you on the college.

16. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

i would look at the overall culture of the college and the local area(especially if it's a smaller and/or private one). i chose between a college with a more relaxed culture and one with a culture that's a bit more restrictive. glad to say i graduated from the relaxed culture, as i saw myself there the most, and one of the other colleges i was looking at isn't looking too good right now.

17. JesLam07 macrumors regular

JesLam07

Well all of the interests you listed in your initial post are all avaliable at The Art Institutes. The Art Institutes have a bunch of different location and you can find one near you on their website. I'm going to The Art Institute of York, PA (Formerly Bradley Academy) For Graphic Design starting in January and from what I've seen their programs are THE best. All of the Art Institutes are a bit expensive, but I'm sure you can work something out with financial aid. The education you will get there is well worth the money.

Good luck with the college search!

Somehow I doubt that that Art Institutes are the worst art & design programs in the country. That's probably just your opinion. Don't limit someone with your opinion.

Did you even go to an Art Institute? And if so, Which One?

18. shecky Guest

shecky

no, i did not go to an AI, but i did research them when i was looking at schools for my BFA. and as someone who did his research, and as someone who is a currently a design educator and a working designer, i can assure you that the reputation of the AI is not a good one.

19. JesLam07 macrumors regular

JesLam07

You can do all the research you want, I don't care. Until you've actually been there you have no right to say anything.

20. shecky Guest

shecky

good luck at school.