looking for a color laser printer mostly to print pencil drawing?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by saul11, Jul 10, 2008.

1. saul11 macrumors newbie

I'm looking to buy a color laser printer mostly to print pencil drawing, but I'm unsure what to get. For the quality I'm happy with my inkjet, but I want to get a laser printer to have no -or less- color degradation. Now when I have an image on the wall, the colors will fade quite rapidly. I know that the quality of a color image done by a laser printer will never be as good as that from a inkjet, but I'm looking for a laser that can still do a decent job on this and is below $1000. The images I'd like to print are http://www.rouwvormgeving.nl/images/boelgevoel.jpg and http://www.rouwvormgeving.nl/images/eenJaarEenDag.jpg, but also other graphical material; the images are to be sold; and I'd like to print some 5000 pieces.

The best reviews I have found are the ones from macworld.com and I have sorted them from good to not good, see the list below. Is there anyone who has experience with any of these printers or maybe who has another recommendation?
    (I'm not interested in additional features like scanning and fax)

The ratings (Scale = Superior, Very Good, Good, Fair, Poor) behind every printer's link are the print qualities respectively for 'Fine lines and gradients', '22MB Photoshop image quality' and 'Text quality'. With the '22MB Photoshop image quality' being the most important ffor me I guess...

good

unsure

not good
    • Lexmark X500n multifunction printer > Very Good, Good, Very Good > Speedy; inexpensive; produces very good text and color-document prints; creates high-quality scans; reds are too strong in color prints; some details don’t carry over when making copies; scanner is slow.
    • Xerox Phaser 6180/DN color laser printer > Good, Good, Superior > Some colors are dull; shadow detail in photos is lacking; slow when printing photos.
    • HP Color LaserJet 3600n > Very Good, Flawed, Excellent > Excellent text and fine line printing; Output was a little light, especially when printing photographic images.
    • HP LaserJet 2600n > Good, Good, Very Good > Great price; increased paper capacity; good quality text and graphics printing; photo prints looked undersaturated; grayscale prints had a green cast.
    • HP Color LaserJet CM1017 MFP multifunction printer > good, good, very good
    • Xerox Phaser 6130 > Good, Fair, Very Good > Slow; color prints look faint and lack detail.

There's a specific printer, that's not in this list, the OKI C5650N, which I can get for a good price, but I can't find any review for it. Is there anyone who has experience with it?

Thanks

2. MisterMe macrumors G4

MisterMe

Nonsense. Are you asking for help or are you posting reviews based on nothing more substantial than your impressions based on whatever moved you at the moment?

3. liquidh2o macrumors 6502

Our workplace uses the 2605dtn by HP. Can't complain, everything comes out great!

4. nanofrog macrumors G4

Check the cost of consumables before buying anything, or you may find yourself a lot poorer. :eek: ;)

After doing this myself recently, I vote for the Brother products. HL-4070CDW if you need color, HL-9840CDW for an All in One. HP's are expensive for consumables. They also expire on an HP. :mad:

5. saul11 thread starter macrumors newbie

@MisterMe; I hear from everywhere that the quality of graphics printed by a laser will be less than that from an inkjet (I'm happy with the results my very basic hp psc 1200 delivers, so maybe the comparison doesn't count for me, which woul be great news). But you dispute this? Good news!!

@liquidh2o; 2605dtn, I'll keep an eye on that or the alikes, thanks.

@nanofrog; I'll surely check the cost of consumables; I hear that a lot! I'll keep the HL-4070CDW in mind, thanks for the advice.

6. dibara2003 macrumors 6502

my office has an oki led color printer. quality has been pretty good imo

7. gwsat macrumors 68000

gwsat

I've had an Oki C5300n color laser printer for 5 years. It has been very reliable and I've only had to buy new color cartridges once and a black toner cartridge twice. Admittedly, it doesn't get heavy use but consumables do seem to go a long way. The only downside is that if the printer is in standby when it receives a print command, it takes about 30 to 45 seconds for the first page to print. After that, though, it's plenty fast. The quality of its output is beautiful.