Looking for a completed project

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by phr0ze, Jul 30, 2012.

1. phr0ze macrumors 6502a

I'm looking for a completed open source project I can use as a starting place. I've run through sample code that do just one peice of a program. But I'm looking for something thats basically complete in a deploy ready state.

Particularly a business type app that lets users search/view/manage data.

I know this sounds weird, but I actually learn faster by trying to make one app into another than starting from scratch.

2. Duncan C macrumors 6502a

Duncan C

So do some searching on Github, SourceForge, and other open source sites. I doubt you're going to find release-quality business apps ready for you to download, however. Open source projects tend to be either demos of specific APIs, or collaborative apps for general use. Business apps are likely to be proprietary.

3. 1458279 Suspended

If you wanted games, this would be pretty easy as there are several good ones out there.

I haven't seen any complete business apps and this is so broad that it's hard to know if a 'todo list' would be of any help.

In other words 'business app' could be to connect to a remote server to get sales data, could be contact mgmt or many things in between.

Developers do sell source code, they have sites that do this. One concern is that things change, APIs/iOS/devices all change so you probably want source code that takes advantage of newer changes.

I've found a lot of what's out there is pretty dated, but that doesn't mean it won't work as a learning tool. Example is memory mgmt, now ARC is the way to go, most sample code I find doesn't do ARC.

I found the Big Nerd Ranch to have a great projects, one builds on itself and has data saving/display/ etc... pretty easy book to follow too.

4. Greencardman macrumors 6502

We use an open source backend for our iPad magazine app called Baker. https://github.com/simbul/baker. You can find the current stable version here: http://bakerframework.com/

Its a complete hybrid app, if you're looking to see how those work. A sample book is included to show you how everything works and lets you experiment. Just download it and run it and play with the code.

5. phr0ze thread starter macrumors 6502a

6. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx