Looking for a computer desk

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by tdgrn, Aug 27, 2008.

1. tdgrn macrumors 6502

Alright, you guys are probably going to think that I am a little OCD (and that might be an understatement), but I am looking for a new computer desk. I just moved into a new place, and I have a lot more room than what I use to have, so I am thinking that I need a new computer desk. There is a catch. I want it to have very specific things. I will list these things below. If you guys know of a desk like what I am wanting, please let me know:

Here is what I want.
    I have a MacBook Pro, and I want to be able to hook it up to an external display. I want these two things on the same level. I would prefer to have a slide out keyboard and mouse tray. I also need a computer tray, as I have a small HP Slimline that I use as a media server for me and my roommates. I would like that as well as my All-In-One Printer, Scanner, Copier to be under the main surface of the desk.

If you can find all that, kuddos, but there is a bonus assignment as well.
    If there is something that meets these specs, then I have some more.
    I would like the desk to also have some drawers, as well as a file cabinet, as I have 2 external HD's and I would like to be able to file some important documents in the desk.

I know, I'm picky, but hey, I want the best thing that I can to have the best computer in the world on.

2. 204467 macrumors 6502a

I've never seen anything that matches your expectations. Why don't you build one yourself if you have the time/money/ability? You could always PM fivepoint for tips.

3. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

We have a large old wooden desk in my house not far from what you're looking for...maybe you should look at some used furniture/antique-barn type places nearby. You could probably get something big and sturdy pretty cheap (not like the cheap laminated-fiberboard crap you buy these days).

Something like what they have on this page might do you well...though I'm sure you could find one cheap used. http://www.deskdepot.co.uk/computer.htm

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Actually, I've walked this road, as well, desk-hunting and very interesting it was. Mostly shoddy stuff, some of it at unbelievable prices.

I've looked at that site - thanks for it OutThere, some lovely stuff featured in it and a pleasure to browse. In common with you, and the OP, I'm partial to well made products. My advice would be much the same as yours; go for a sturdy, well-made (of solid wood, none of this ghastly laminated fibreboard rubbish so readily available, even in so-called good stores) desk, that will last you years. Antique shops, or proper (often small family run) furniture stores, which take pride in their products would be my suggestion for you. Cheers and good luck

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I've ben shopping to redo my office and have been to every damn furniture store around. I found some nice desks at Crate and Barrel but I don't want to spend $1,000 for a desk. Just back from Ikea and I think I've settled on these. For the price, I consider them disposable but they look nice. All are their dark brown/black color.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]