Looking for a cooking app

Discussion in 'iPad Apps' started by Drag'nGT, Mar 18, 2012.

1. Drag'nGT macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

I'm looking for an app that can sync with or mirror (maybe through dropbox) my recipe collection. I've gathered great recipes from the internet and rated them etc... Now I'd like to see them on my iPad.

All the cooking apps I have found show me their recipes but I have my own and don't see a way to import them into the iPad. It would be even more awesome if I could say "next" and the next step in the recipe would show up. But at the moment I just need an app that will let me put MY recipes into the app and not rely on just theirs.

Anyone agree with me?

2. Elaine11 macrumors newbie

Elaine11

Paprika lets you put in your recipes and will sync between your iPad, iPhone and your Mac. Downside is you need to purchase individually the app for the devices. It works great. The app makes it very easy to download recipes from the internet. It might be a bit of a challenge to import all your recipes though.

3. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

I too use Paprika for iPad.

have yet to purchase on the other platforms. I love it.
    You can create your own recipes but typing them in or Copy & Paste.
    You can also, whip them into a webpage and save the recipes as they have a browser in the app that can save recipes.

It doesn't always work but I love the simplicity of it all.
    I REALLY wish the app was Universal and or the Mac app was cheaper as you could easily type on the Mac all the recipes, or save them on the Mac a tad easier than the iPad.

4. matrix07 macrumors 68040

matrix07

5. Drag'nGT thread starter macrumors 68000

Drag'nGT

Thanks a lot! I'll look at Paprika. In the mean time I also found that Souschef does the same thing.

6. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

yes it does and I see that app is universal. though i think paid $5 for the one iPad app, so relatively similar in price.

I know one thing that is nice is in Paprika when you have a recipe open (maybe the whole app) it will stay "on" and not go to sleep so you can keep looking back to the recipe.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

+1 My wife uses Paprika and she just loves it. It has a nice built in browser you can use to view recipe sites and with one click it will import the recipe into the app. You can also add new cooking sites to the browser list. Free sync to the OS X app also.

8. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

Paprika rocks!!

I haven't felt the need to buy it for the Mac - i bought the iPad and the iPhone version. I just click my "paprika" button in safari and then grab my iPad.

I sat for HOURS typing recipes one night and importing my printouts. It was a hefty chunk of paper clutter to rid my counter of!

9. Mac In School macrumors 65816

10. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

So is this a bookmarklet on the Mac that you click and it goes to the iPad version? That would be nice. I just use the iPad/Paprika - built-in browser.

11. innominato5090 macrumors 6502

innominato5090

12. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I use the built in browser when i'm on my iPad, or copy the URL and then launch Paprika and it loads it if it is a funky site that won't import. But since i'm cheap - when i'm on my new mini, i just use the bookmarklet (I could NOT remember the name of that! LOL!!) to import them if i can.

The perk of being on MobileMe still - it just appeared everywhere! But since i'm apt to be looking at recipes NOT in paprika, it makes it nice!

http://www.paprikaapp.com/bookmarklet/

13. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

Thanks, checking it out now.
    I thought that would be nay if you had the Mac version. thanks again.

(I just have the iPad version now.

oh wow! that might make it even easier!

14. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

It's pretty awesome....

The other day my 7yo and I were sitting at the computer looking at allrecipes for something. We found it, i clicked the bookmarklet and went into the kitchen. She said - don't you need to print it?

Nope, pulled my iPhone out of my pocket and BAM, there it was.... she was impressed! :cool:

It was the one App i really hesitated buying, and then I wouldn't buy the iPhone version until my SIL did and showed me how awesome it worked, and it is the first app i recommend to anyone! LOL!! (and, my SIL was excited because their recipes can go to my brother too - no more phone calls to her asking her how to make something when he is at work (firefighter)).

15. BJMRamage macrumors 68020

BJMRamage

OK, so can you "transfer" recipes to another Paprika user easily?
    I hesitated on the iPad app and am still contemplating the iPhone of Mac versions.
    My parents only have a Mac Mini, no phone or pad, and wondering if I set them up with the Mac app if I could transfer my recipes over easily. that would be great to be able to easily Swap recipes.

*Sorry to sidetrack this thread...but keeping it near the top.

16. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

I log my paprika cloud account in on my mom's iPad and sync my recipes up, then log out. She adds some strange stuff - so I don't want it in mine! LOL!! I actually only do that the first time, then I can just email her the recipes from Paprika - and it will import them into the app!

[That said, i have had to do it twice because apple had them zap the iPad. UGH.]

But it really is easy to share. Have you emailed yourself a recipe from within the app? Try it and you will see the link to take it back into Paprika. But if you didn't mind if your mom added stuff to your collection then you could just stay all synced together.

I'm still debating the desktop app - but I don't think i'd use it that much and have a bunch of other apps on the "buy" list before it.

17. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

This is what I use also. I clip a web article/page and the graphics. Perfect, key words etc.

I haven't used the other ones that have been mentioned as this one does it all for me.

By the way... ROLL TIDE!!!!

18. mattraehl macrumors 6502

+1 for Paprika, excellent app. As has been mentioned, the bookmarklet makes it a breeze to add a recipe from your computer or iPad. No other solution or app supports the same number of websites for easy import as Paprika. See recipe, click bookmarklet, recipe is on your iPad in a clean, easy-to-read format. It's like Instapaper for recipes. Tags for orgainzing recipes work well. Paprika also has features like grocery lists and meal planning if you want that.

Evernote is also a nice bare-bones suggestion depending on your needs. You won't get features like recipe scaling or a built-in timer, no sleep, or seeing the ingredients and steps displayed side-by-side. But it will get the job done if you don't care for any features beyond capturing the text/images of the recipe and organizing them.

19. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

What I want to know is where were all you Paprika loving peeps when I was researching it to buy?? LOL!!

I can't imagine using a web clipping for my recipes after using Paprika!