Looking For A Decent, but Cheap Mic

Discussion in 'Digital Audio' started by JonMcDonald, Feb 16, 2009.

1. JonMcDonald macrumors member

I realize it's very much what you get is what you pay for, but being in college (and more importantly, this being only a hobby right now) I was wondering if any of you could point me to a vocals recording microphone, that's less than 200$ and can just plug in via firewire or USB.

(Just to add, I read the guide a bit, thinking of checking out the Samsung mentioned).

2. CalumC macrumors regular

$200 is a decent budget for one mic, but i'm not too sure about usb/firewire. One i have heard of being fairly decent is the Blue Snowball. Shouldn't be much more than $150, i'm thinking in £ and trying to convert so i could be wrong.

You could consider getting a usb interface with a preamp, and a microphone. That would certainly give you more scope to get more stuff in the future.

3. JonMcDonald thread starter macrumors member

How much would a USB interface with a preamp be? It seems like this would be helpful for the future when I got more Mics/etc. I need to really look some of this stuff up, making music is only now becoming a hobbie so I'm a total newbie...

Since I'm investing piece by piece for a small home studio, I suppose I should get the pre-amp first, and then the Mic. (Putting a bit of each pay check aside, to afford each piece). (I'll look up the Blue Snowball though, sounds like a good mic!).

*On a side note* just incase anyone was curious what the mic was for or whatever, I'm starting to record and mix in Garage Band. For now Garage Band is easily powerful (too powerful for me, since I don't know half the features yet hehe). Just need something that will make vocals sound prettier. :}.

4. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

if you're at all thinking about additional mics, don't bother getting a USB mic -- it's a dead end for expansion.

there are a handful of cheap 2-channel USB interfaces; i reckon they're all about the same quality, so pick one based on features.

regarding $100-ish mics, the sm57 is always a good, versatile choice, but for voice you'd probably want to start with a condenser. in that range, the AT 2020 is the only one i would recommend.

5. ChrisA macrumors G4

The sure SM58 is the "standard" mic for live on-stage vocals and the street price is $100. But for a quiet studio setting people are using the more sensitive condenser mics. $200 is still a reasonable budget.

All profesional quality mics are going to have a balanced XLR style connector and you will need a preamp and audio interface. These start are just under $100.

Do check one thing: Condenser mics need phantom power (48V) make sure your audio interface has this, most do but not all.

6. lilrichie macrumors regular

I find the Behringer Podstudio to be a great value package which includes a mic, dont know if u would need the other gear just my two cents.

7. CalumC macrumors regular

Second the AT2020, looks a decent mic. You could get that new and get a 2ndhand interface.

8. pkoch1 macrumors 6502a

pkoch1

I'd have to agree with the AT2020. It is probably the one of the best condensers you can get for under $200.

9. JonMcDonald thread starter macrumors member

I'll probably pick up the AT2020. Have to ask, even if there probably isn't, is there any cheap solution to get the output going into my mac without paying for the preamp or anything (as I save). I.e. a microphone plugin to USB converter for cheap or something haha. Probably not, but I'm such anewbie its worth asking!

10. ChrisA macrumors G4

You mean "audio Interface"

Here is a good list of audio interfaces. Prices are MSRP not "street". Once you narrow the selection using tools on the site below then you can google each one. Bottom line is that you are going to have to spend at least $80 unless you can find a used unit. The site below does is a great starting place.
    http://www.recordingreview.com/soundcard/soundcard_wizard.php