Looking for a decent personal finance app for Mac

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by ahrenba, Jul 18, 2009.

1. ahrenba macrumors member

Hey guys,

I have been searching for a good personal finance app for my Mac and have found some pretty good ones. However, I wanted to see which ones you guys use and why.

Thanks!

2. Rhalliwell1 macrumors 6502a

A few here. I dont use one but all these are rated so maybe you will be able to find something useful.

hope it helps.

3. ahrenba thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, I'll take a look. :) In the meantime, anyone else use one that they like?

4. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

Its called VMware and then run it in windows.

5. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

As you are finding out, there are really very few "good" options on the Mac in this area. Many are doing as suggested above and running a Windows based program in virtualization.

I still use Quicken for the Mac, but just as a checkbook register

In my opinion, this is one area the Mac could stand to see some innovation

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

6. ahrenba thread starter macrumors member

Alright cool. Dang. That is too bad that no one has really created a good one for the Mac. I'd like to use a native one, so I might just have to give a few a try and see which works for right now.

Thanks for the help though guys. If anyone else reads this and has a recommendation, feel free to give it. :)

7. xIGmanIx macrumors 6502a

agreed, and unfortunately unless Apple creates one, i don't see a viable alternative solution other than running it virtualization. Sadly there are some areas of software, where there really is no comparison and my experiance has been that its mostly the main stream where you see this.

8. ahrenba thread starter macrumors member

Sorry to bump this, but 'tis a new day. Just wanted to see if any other users have some advice out there. Thanks!

9. ahrenba thread starter macrumors member

Just a quick update. I tried out the iFinance app, and this one appears to be quite good. I like it so far!

10. RMo macrumors 65816

RMo

I'm not going to call it "good" if you want something Mac-like, but I use jGnash 2. I like mostly that it's cross-platform and open-source. It's written in Java with a Swing GUI, so it's a bit clunky on a Mac sometimes, but it gets the job done. And, of course, it's free.

All I wanted to do was use it as a checkbook register; what I ended up doing was creating a double-entry accounting system with several Income, Expense, and Asset accounts to track my spending (and income) more accurately. It works great for this purpose--and I can even open my data on Windows if I need to.

PS - The latest version seems to have issues running on some Macs (you'll have to set your preferred Java version to 6 rather than 5, I think--I had to Google the solution to get it to run for me, if I recall, and could probably help you out as well if you have issues). Version 1 works fine, but there are some features missing (and even more clunkyness).

Someone should write a nice Cocoa GUI around this.... :D

11. ahrenba thread starter macrumors member

Yikes, that GUI is pretty ugly, but the software does look like it has some great features. I'll definitely keep this one on my list (while hoping someone improves the interface). Thanks for the suggestion!