Looking for a desk...

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by direzze, Nov 7, 2009.

1. direzze macrumors member

Hello

I have been looking for a desk for my computer for a really long time. I am stuck using my laptop on the floor or on my bed because I can never find the desk that I want.

I am looking for basically a solid table, preferably with no drawers or shelves. All of the major office stores and even furniture stores only have cheap particle board desks with loads of ugly drawers and shelves.

I guess what I want is comparable to the tables at the Apple store, except a lot smaller :p Anyone know where I can find a desk like this?

Thanks to anyone who can help

2. direzze thread starter macrumors member

I've even been to a lot of those threads, but they all lead to dead ends (for my taste)

I want it to be all wood

3. alFR macrumors 68020

Have you tried a kitchen/dining stuff shop? A small dining table might suit your needs and a lot of them are solid wood.

4. chown33 macrumors 604

+1 for a kitchen table. Or a kitchen cart kit you assemble yourself, wheels and drawers left off.

If that doesn't work out, visit Lowe's or Home Depot and pick up some power tools, then hit a lumber supplier for some nice birch, and make one.

You can also buy pre-made table tops (end-grain looks nice) and attach legs (you can buy premade legs and attachment devices).

Lastly, if you know anyone in the construction trades (anyone you know who remodeled home recently), contact a finish carpenter or one who does cabinetry, and they can make one to your design. It may not be as expensive as you might think, especially if you're willing to finish it yourself.

5. Hayduke60 macrumors regular

Scandinavian Designs have some really nice desks.

6. direzze thread starter macrumors member

7. allisonv7 macrumors 6502

I like that desk too, minus the chrome, I don't mind the metal, it's just too shiny for me. Maybe you'd be able to brush it down manually? Although, if you're paying $295 for a desk you should be able to find exactly what you're looking for :)

8. phas3 macrumors 65816

I would like a new desk as well, that can hold an Obsidian 800D case, this bad boy is massive!

9. direzze thread starter macrumors member

Yeah the combination of the shine and the shape makes it look like something you'd find in a hair salon :p

It's outrageous how difficult it is to find something perfect.

10. chown33 macrumors 604

It's easy to find something perfect: have a craftsman custom design and make something for you. You'll pay for it, though. Perfection on a budget is hard, and always has been.

It's difficult to recommend anything seriously without specifics from you. You've said a little about what you don't want, but that's not enough to go on. You haven't said what your budget is, what size you want, what features you want, or what other constraints you have ("wood" is too generic, although "no drawers" is a start).

11. direzze thread starter macrumors member

Perfection is not for me if it requires that much effort :p But what I am looking for is a very simple wood table.

I realize that on my budget it's not going to made of 100% wood, so I know some if it going to be particle board

This picture is along the lines of what I'm looking for

http://www.ikea.com/ca/en/catalog/products/00116265

I just don't know if its appropriate for a desk, because it's extendable (it pulls apart). It seems to be a good size, and I like the simplicity of it (no drawers, no shelves, just a simple, sturdy table)

What do you guys think? Would an iMac look nice on that? Is it appropriate to use a kitchen table like that for a desk?