Looking for a desktop for a 6 year old?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by mrskullfreak, Jan 28, 2012.

1. mrskullfreak macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

I have a mac and mac book but my 6 year old daughter needs something.

Looking for suggestions on a cheaper desktop for her.

One option I have is to give her my mac and buy a new one for me but mine is only 1.5 years old and i really don't want to spend 1200 bux right now.

I was thinking of a HP touch screen anyone have one?
    thx skull

2. iMacBoy, Jan 28, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2012

iMacBoy macrumors 6502

Why would you post about HP Pc's in the iMac section?

And buy her a book or something.

3. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

I would question your parenting, frankly, if you're considering buying a desktop for a child's exclusive use.

4. mrskullfreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

You must not have kids in school.
    They use them daily.

----------

What?
    Nice comment

----------

Also I thought I could get some info but I guess not.

5. Carl Sagan macrumors 6502a

Carl Sagan

6. mrskullfreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

I wanted her to have a nice screen and a regular keyboard for easy use.

7. simsaladimbamba

What about an older Intel iMac or maybe even PPC iMac then?

Or a used Mac mini with a nice display?

8. GeekGuys macrumors regular

I bought a 17" white iMac for my kids. They were aged 5-6-9 at the time (2 years ago). I paid £200 for it and it worked perfectly...... I found the older plastic keyboard a bit more robust than the newer BT keyboards.

They have now migrated to my 2008 24" iMac as I have upgraded.

I have no problem with giving my kids a dedicated computer (money aside) as they use them at school, use iPads and iPods at home and school. My only concerns were laptops are too individual and more fragile than a shared desktop.

9. mrskullfreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

Where could I buy a good used one at?

----------

This would work to did you buy from ebay or?

10. wrinkster22 macrumors 68030

wrinkster22

Craigslist would be easier, as shippping will nail you.
    Go on Craigslist and searched used macs and put in the most/least amount you would spend and see what comes up.
    And to everyone crtizing the OP, maybe he does not want kids messing up his computer due to work and such, dont make assumptions for all you know though we will keep an eye on them and place the Mac beside his.

11. mrskullfreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

I have to say I never new the mini was a computer.
    I feel really dumb now.

So all I need is a screen and keyboard for the mini?
    This set up would be perfect

12. mrzeigler macrumors regular

When my 4-year-old nephew from out of state stays with me for a month during summer, he loves to use my old iLamp.

You can find old macs for sale at macofalltrades.com

Here's a 17" iMac G5 for $249.

http://www.macofalltrades.com/Apple...Hz_Ambient_Light_Sensor_p/imac 17 18 m04a.htm

13. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

I'm sorry but everyone bashing the OP for needing a computer for their child obviously knows NOTHING about what kids need these days.

Computers are a completely 100% essential tool (I'd pick a computer over a text book any day since a computer can do much more). Its important kids use them early and often or else you get the type of people today in the work force who need to use a computer for work, but have poor to no ability to do so.

Friends of mine have kids who teach THEM how to use computers.

Seriously, anyone thinking a child doesn't need a computer is out of touch with reality.

Oh, and +1 for the mini. It would be a great setup.

14. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

15. lc25 macrumors 6502

16. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

School aged kids definitely need a computer to use at home. Even my 7 year old has assignments that need to be completed online.

17. mrskullfreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

Thx for the support.

18. wonderspark macrumors 68030

wonderspark

Just stumbled across this thread, but I'll admit I had no idea 6-year-olds used computers in school already. That's impressive! I was about 11 years old when I got an Atari 400, and hated the membrane keyboard. It makes me laugh to think about how I learned BASIC back then, and used it to create a map of my entire neighborhood with the ASCII characters, which I had to load from a cassette tape drive.

My school had TRS-80 computers that were much nicer.

A friend of mine has two boys, 4 and 5 years old, who would certainly destroy a computer in minutes... not that all boys are that way. His are a little wild, and like to pour water on things as well.

19. mrskullfreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

Well they start in kindergarten now lol.
    Thats pretty crazy but its very important also.

20. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

So much more expensive than a traper-keeper and pencil box. Damn! The assumed opulence is kind of staggering. What would you do if you couldn't afford a computer?

21. mrzeigler macrumors regular

My parents, who are decidedly working class, managed to be able to afford a $200 Atari 2600 in the late 1970s for a Christmas present. I'm sure that parents today could find a way to scrape together the same amount of cash today to buy a secondhand machine that would perfectly suit the needs of young children. We're not talking brand new 27" iMacs.

Remember, school districts don't require parent to buy specific OSes nor specific software. Most of the computer-related work that kids perform require nothing more than a word processor, web browser and an internet connection.

22. mmomega macrumors demi-god

mmomega

Been here done it.

If I were to buy a new Mac for a child it would be a base model Mac Mini ($569@BestBuy) with a 20" Samsung LCD monitor (@BestBuy, they're on sale) for $99. You're looking at approx a $700 investment w/ tax.

Personally I'd go with a 1st gen iPad for one that young. At least with my kids, they are all about portability.

Also, I don't care for the HP All-in-One touchscreen, I know two people that have them and the touchscreen doesn't get used at all anymore. It's too awkward using for an extended period of time at a regular computer desk, IMHO you would need to sit higher than normal with the screen a lot closer than normal to use it for more than 15-20mins at a time.

Seems you need to figure out PC or Mac.

23. Rogue. macrumors regular

Start them off as young as possible...

My niece just had her first PC for her 6th birthday. My son (now 17) has been using a computer since he was 7. He amazes me, he types, holds a conversation and watches TV without missing a beat.

It puts my one finger typing to shame :p

24. macmastersam macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

If we had these nice gadgets when we were young then why can't our kids have these nice gadgets at the same age? You can never be too young to own a computer.

My best advice: if you can afford it, the buy it. But of you can't? Then look for similar but cheaper alternatives. But. Would suggest a previous - current generation mac mini + cheap display.

If you go mac mini, I would suggest the low end current model with aftermarket ram upgrade to 4GB, that way you aren't spending much money

25. mrskullfreak thread starter macrumors 6502a

mrskullfreak

I really enjoy reading everyones comments here.

I am going to hit the apple store today to check out the mini.

Also I am holding out for the iPad 3 this will be my first tablet.

I bought a iPad before I bought my 2009 macbook but took it right back and traded it for a macbook.

Now I own the iMac 21", macbook, iPhone 4s, time capsule.

But now I want a tablet I think back in 2009 I just wasn't ready for the iPad because thats when I bought my first apple computer (hope this makes sense).

I am thinking of selling my macbook and getting two iPads one for me and one for my teenager if anyone thinks this is a bad idea let me know.