looking for a dock application

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by niemo810, Feb 19, 2008.

1. niemo810 macrumors member

I had an idea, and I don't know if anybody has ever done this before.

Instead of having stacks pop up vertically, I think it would be cool to have the option to have them spread out vertically on the dock.

For example, I have my college documents folder which contains a folder for each of my classes. If I click on the college folder in the dock, it would be neat to have my class folders pop out horizontally, and from those folders have the documents inside them stack vertically.

Has anyone heard of such a thing? Does anybody besides me think it's a good idea?

It would look something like this:
    [​IMG]

-Rob

2. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

Well, this is essentially what the 10.5.2 update addressed. We now have list view in the dock.

3. niemo810 thread starter macrumors member

*sigh* I suppose you're right. I was just hoping for something "prettier" I guess. But pretty and functional are two things that often don't get along. All in all, I'm very happy about the list addition to 10.5.2 :)

I even made a drawing... what the heck was I thinking? Must have been really tired or something...

4. kuwisdelu macrumors 65816

It's an interesting idea, but I think it would quickly get too complicated if someone had more than one level of nested folders inside the original stack. List view can go on and on without any problem about which direction, as this idea would have after the initial level or two, but the problem is that it's not as pretty.

I think it's a good idea, nonetheless, if you only have a limited level of nested folders inside.

Personally, I think the next thing they need to do with stacks is make if more usable with additional features, i.e. I want to do everything I can do with the icons in a stack as I can with an icon in Finder or on the desktop. Right now I can open it, and drag and drop it, and that's all. But I think it would be great if I had the option to right click a file in stacks and be able to get info, open with..., and so on instead of just "open". Also, it would be cool if there were the option (perhaps by holding down "option"?) to open a folder inside a stack and have its contents then appear as a stack (replacing the original one) similar to your idea, but this should be easier to implement. Either implementation would be cool, but I hope 10.5.3 brings more flexible stacks :D

Oh, and it'd be great if the drag and drop ability came to list view! And right-click for list view, too!

Am I asking too much? All of that shouldn't be that hard to implement, should it? And it wouldn't require any change to the GUI at all.

5. ltldrummerboy macrumors 68000

ltldrummerboy

What would be nifty is a normal stack that could have other stacks come off it. A prettier interface to the list view? Not very practical though. I don't think Apple will ever implement it.