Looking for a dock for my 3G. Questions...

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by jluce50, Jan 9, 2009.

1. jluce50 macrumors regular

First of all, is it safe to assume that the following "original" Apple docks are fakes?

Dock 1

Dock 2

Note that the first one is in Hong Kong but the other one is in the US. Even if they are, does it really matter? I'd be more inclined to worry if the unit was a wall charger since it would be responsible for providing the correct volts/amps, but this is basically just a glorified sync cable.

My other question has to do with using the phone while in the dock. In most docks it seems like the only thing supporting the phone is the plug in the bottom of the phone, which isn't very sturdy. Are phones in docks secure enough that you can push on the screen without worrying about eventually breaking the connector or the port on the bottom of the phone? I'd feel a lot better if the docks had a backrest of some kind, but then it probably wouldn't work with my case...

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Hi,

Dock 1 link seems to be not working.

With regards to the seller of Dock 2, I'm not sure if that's fake or not since the seller has some good feedback, go ask the seller.

Using the iPhone on a dock is strongly recommended just for syncing/charging/playing songs. It's not secure enough that when you push buttons on the screen, you can really feel it tilts so you might break the pin below. No backrests that I've seen. What I do is I usually place my hand behind the iPhone before I even try to push anything on the screen, and I really take good care of putting the iPhone on the dock and off it just so the pins will last longtime.

3. jluce50 thread starter macrumors regular

It just galls me to pay Apple's prices on accessories.

In light of what Rayfire :) said about using the phone on the dock, I may have to find another solution. I need to be able to use the phone while it's docked without worrying about breaking the connector or the phone.

4. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

Fixed :p

Anyway, if that's the case you might be looking for a stand not a dock. What some of the people do is just place the iPhone on the stand (that lays either horizontally/vertically like the X-stand) then connect the USB cable and you should be good to go.

5. jluce50 thread starter macrumors regular

I love the Xtand and the iClooly stands but, again, I hate to pay that much. I've searched high and low for a relatively inexpensive (< $20) stand that would allow me to keep the sync cable plugged in and I've come up empty. I'd love some suggestions if you have any!

Edit: Oh, and it must allow me to keep the phone vertical...

6. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

No idea anymore, both of what you've mentioned are the ones on my mind as well. Good luck on your search! And yes these accessories could really get your pockets a little lighter ;)

7. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

8. jluce50 thread starter macrumors regular

Looks pretty cool, but it doesn't solve the problem of the phone not being supported.