Looking for a dual ext HD

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by ghostchild, Dec 11, 2009.

1. ghostchild macrumors 6502

ghostchild

Hey guys I have a Unibody Macbook Pro and it has Firewire 800 and USB, I'm looking for a 2tb (2 x 1tb) dual external hd. Dual because if one drive fails I have the second one as backup. Which one do you guys recommend. Has to be super reliable of course....

2. kellen macrumors 68020

kellen

I have a otherworldcomputing (macsales.com) dual external. It works great, only has e-sata though, but was only 60 bucks. They have a usb 2.0 dual for 60 as well. If you want firewire 800, they have a model that is usb, firewire 400, firewire 800 and e-sata for around 120.

Its a dual design that can be set up as a raid or jbod. They have some that are raid only as well.

Here is a link to their general page of external solutions. link Note they are all bare drives, so you get to add your own. I liked this as I could choose what I put it in and upgrade in the future. Plus if one dies, its easy to pull out vs. replacing the whole enclosure.

3. Bigzizzzle macrumors newbie

I like drobo or the OWA (outer world computing) brands. Drobo has a hybrid-raidless technology that in theory is better than RAID where it can typically falter.

My experience of RAID is unless its enterprise grade RAID drives/ Controller you don't want it. Too many false rebuild failures etc... I ended up returning all RAID NAS i bought.

If you go the NAS route, expect slow performance unless you opt to use the ISCSI protocol. Drobo Pro allows ISCSI but you will spend an arm and a leg for it. (worth it in the end)

4. ghostchild thread starter macrumors 6502

ghostchild