Looking for a DVI Splitter

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by AubreyL, Jan 13, 2008.

1. AubreyL macrumors newbie

I just ordered a mac pro on Apple's web site today and went with the base model for $2799. I am going to hook it up 2 and eventually 3 monitors so for this reason want to get a DVI Splitter. i have seen www.monoprice.com mentioned for their splitter, http://www.monoprice.com/products/p...=10113&cs_id=1011302&p_id=4073&seq=1&format=2

I haven't seen many others except for one mentioned by iOmega and ATEN. I am interested in any opinions of this splitter or others. I don't need anything for sound or USB, only DVI video. Also, I'm looking at suggestions for good DVI cables to use with this or whichever splitter I use and would appreciate any help. Thanks!!

2. cal6n macrumors 68000

cal6n

I'm wondering why you need this. You do know that the standard card will run 2 DVI monitors in either extended desktop or mirroring mode, don't you? Adding another monitor (or even 2) is as simple as adding another graphics card.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

You cannot split a dual-link DVI port to drive 2 screens via a single port. You know that right?

Each card can only run 2 screens unless you use a product like this.

4. markw10 macrumors 6502

I am looking for a similar solution The displays in my case will be in different locations so I am looking for something that will do the same image on all displays, not different displays.
    I dont know the prices of all the splitters on the market but if it's just as cheap to buy a 2nd video card to mirror my display for the 3 displays that may be the best choice. For example I was looking into the NVidea 8800 but chose the stock card that the Mac Pro comes with. If I add a NVidea 8800 could I then use the two DVI outs (it has 2, right)? that it comes with for the 2 displays I will use the most often and then the ATI's video out for the 3rd display that isn't as important to me (since it's a lower end graphics card?) Or can I add two video cards like that that are different?
    I was also looking at some splitters and will look at the above link. I just looked at the link given in the OP's msg and I had the idea also this could be used to drive additional monitors from one DVI port on a card but is this not true?

5. markw10 macrumors 6502

Obviously I'd like to save money so is there a specific brand or place online I should look at to get a 512GB 8800 GT Card? Once I get it does it matter which slots I use to install the cards?

6. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

If you don't buy an Apple one it pretty much won't work in OSX. It'll work in Windows though. For details of why please do a search