Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

juliancs

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 24, 2006
Hi folks,
I need a new thumb drive. The one I have is a Sandisk micro cruzer. The main thing I hate about it is that it is so wide I cannot have anything in any usb ports next to it. It also has some built in software that comes up which is very annoying.

Can someone recommend a sturdy, and preferably very small thumb drive? I'm taking it two and from the studio every day. I would like 16GB and up, if possible, but will think about 8GB!

Cheers.

Jason Beck

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2009
Cedar City, Utah
Hi folks,
I need a new thumb drive. The one I have is a Sandisk micro cruzer. The main thing I hate about it is that it is so wide I cannot have anything in any usb ports next to it. It also has some built in software that comes up which is very annoying.

Can someone recommend a sturdy, and preferably very small thumb drive? I'm taking it two and from the studio every day. I would like 16GB and up, if possible, but will think about 8GB!

Cheers.

Just get one of these. I prefer the thumb drive.

Attachments

• 2557553803_700670a8a2.jpg
    2557553803_700670a8a2.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 43
  • re5-chainsaw-usb-drive.jpg
    re5-chainsaw-usb-drive.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 42
  • shrimp.jpg
    shrimp.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 40

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
Here ya go - Lacie iamakey

That's the 16GB - there's also 4, 8, and 32GB.

I have one and its the single most useful piece of small tech. I've ever owned. Its not terribly fast, but its not painfully slow, either - I always have it on my keyring and it NEVER gets in the way.

Morley7

macrumors member
Mar 3, 2010
http://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Voyag...2?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1273432586&sr=1-2

I have the 8 gb model of this. I got it probably 3-4 years ago; it's been through the wash and everything, and it still works like new. It sorta block the usb ports next to it. unless you push real hard to squeeze the rubber out of the way. However it comes with a little usb extension chord thats about 3 inches long which gets rid of that problem. Transfer speeds are also pretty fast. I know I will be buying another.

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY

That one looks wicked cool. Though personally I prefer one with a cap that attaches to the body (one of the most important features after speed).

Yeah, and the cap for it is about useless, too - I lost mine somewhere between pocket and key usage (door, car, etc.) within 2 days. But I've not had any issue with it, so I guess its OK. :)

chown33

Staff member
Aug 9, 2009
A sea of green
Get a microSDHC-to-USB adapter. Kingston is the brand I have, but there are plenty of others, in several sizes, colors, etc.. Amazon search terms: microsdhc usb.

I bought 3 adapters, and have several microsd cards. If one of the adapters gets munged, I have an immediate spare. If I need more space, I buy another microsdhc card.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.