Looking for a fast image viewer for initial deleting

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by mortenjensen, Apr 28, 2012.

1. mortenjensen macrumors regular

Hi all
    I am looking for a fast image viewer to do the initial deleting in before importing to lightroom.

On my old PC, I used a nice little free program called Faststone. I would do all I needed before the actual development.

I have been unable to find such a program for mac.

Any suggestions?

Morten

2. simsaladimbamba

In Lightroom you can select what to import.
    Do you use JPEGs or CR2 or NEF files? Could QuickLook help?

3. mortenjensen thread starter macrumors regular

Mostly raw (canon).

I am looking for a program that will display the raw-files in full screen, mark the ones to be deleted, and then mark the marked ones for deleting. Pretty easy, but needs to be done in a fast way, since we are talking about lots of frames on the cards. No initial import and so - just deleting after viewing.

Morten

4. fa8362 macrumors 65816

Have to agree with simsalad. Use lightroom for that purpose.

5. mortenjensen thread starter macrumors regular

Thx, yes Lightroom does allow you to browse through the images. Not in full screen, though, and with no options of batch-renaming and other things that Faststone provides.

But txh anyway!
    Morten

6. r.harris1 macrumors 6502a

r.harris1

Take a look at Photo Mechanic - not free though.

7. snberk103 macrumors 603

I'm gonna go with the Lightroom suggestion too.

During import you can scale the thumbnails up to a good sized. You can use the cmd & shift keys to pick what you want. Then rename on import. Import in batches to for names in common.

OR....

Import them all, renaming as you go. Then use the Pick flags or "0 star/1 star" to very quickly mark the ones for deletion. You're done.

The pont of Lr is to bring the individual workflow bits into a single workflow. It sounds like you may be fighting Lr a bit on this, perhaps? The fact that you are renaming indicates to me you may not be using collections/keywords to their full power. My advice to people who are starting out is to duplicate (and update) their existing folder-naming and image-naming scheme with collections and keywords and smart- collection. Let Lr keep the camera file name, and put the images into its default YYYY/month/day folder structure and create collections sets and collections and smart collections based on keywords to organize the images how you like. It is much more powerful way organize, and you can still keep a folder structure similar to what you are used to.