Looking for a few opinions...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by klymr, May 20, 2007.

  1. klymr macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 16, 2007
    Location:
    Utah
    #1
    First off, I may just be joining in on some of these activities [​IMG] but I was wondering...

    I am waiting for the next release of the 17" MBP and I am a bit concerned. I was wondering what y'all think I should do. I am going into graphic design and do a bit of Final Cut Pro editing, so I am a bit worried about the grainy and uneven lit screens. I technically COULD wait until the next release when they will hopefully have the LED screens, but who really wants to wait that much longer when they finally got the money after 2 years? I wonder how much Apple has considered revamping the screens on this next release now that they have this whole lawsuit out right now (or if that's even a possibility for them at this point). Have the screens been as bad as in the past? Will I have a problem?

    So I have been thinking, should I buy now and hope for the best? Should I buy now and then sell it when the next release comes out (which I will probably take a hit on)? Should I continue my wait of almost a year and a half? I personally would have liked to have a computer for when school starts up again full time this fall, but that might not be the best option? WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST/THINK?
     
  2. klymr thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 16, 2007
    Location:
    Utah
    #2
    You mean to tell me out of 53 views no one has anything to say to me? :)

    I forgot to also ask, glossy screen or the traditional matte? I personally don't like the glossy screens but, do they look better? Are they about the same? Anyone?
     
  3. coledog macrumors 6502a

    coledog

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2006
    Location:
    Adirondacks
    #3
    Wait until the WWDC in June at least. I am going to try to wait unless pressured into getting one sooner. (I am selling a blackbook)

    Some things we're waiting for:
    Santa Rosa Chipset
    LED backlighting
    Graphics upgrade
    New MBP case

    No one knows when and what things are coming. But tomorrow IS Tuesday.
    UPDATING DAY!! (maybe...)

    Also I prefer the glossy. Better visibility outside... http://forums.macrumors.com/archive/index.php/t-202306.html
     
  4. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2004
    Location:
    The Msp
    #4
    You could buy one now, and be one of the thousands of satisfied customers, or you could worry about what a few people on an internet message board dedicated to complaining about problems have to say. :cool:

    I'd say go for it. If you need it now, just buy it, and if there are problems with it, exchange it. If you don't need it right now, wait a few weeks and see what happens. I'm sure the MBPs will see some sort of updates, though I feel like it may not be a complete overhaul as many hope. Apple tends to not do what people on this board want.

    Also, just from what I've read here, I think people prefer matte for professional work. I personally love the glossy screen on my MB, but it's horrible in bright light or especially outdoors.
     
  5. klymr thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 16, 2007
    Location:
    Utah
    #5
    Oh, trust me, I'm at least waiting a few weeks to see what happens. I don't NEED a new computer anytime soon, it would just make life a TON easier. I'm still trying to get into a class up at school (Computers and Art) that is packed to the max (with 20 people) but I heard that if I just show up the first day of class they will sign me in no problem. That starts the last week of August (I know, a few months before the "typical" release date, isn't it?). That's about the same time that it'd be most convinient to have the computer.

    I was also thinking, it may be worth getting one before Leopard starts shipping on the machines so if by chance I had to, I'd have the Tiger discs to fall back on.

    As far as the screen goes, I think I'm going with the matte. I like the clean look of the glossy, but I don't like the glare that they have. And yes, I think I'd be happy with the MBP, but I can be particular about some things. Then again, I've never owned a laptop so I may not even notice anything anyway. Thanks again for the tips.
     
  6. Bern macrumors 68000

    Bern

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2004
    Location:
    Australia
    #6
    Glossy screen is great for watching movies or playing games, but for colour accuracy you'd better off with matte. Glossy saturates the colours on your screen so you're not seeing the colour correctly. It looks nice, but for graphic arts it's not the best idea.
     
  7. CalBoy macrumors 604

    CalBoy

    Joined:
    May 21, 2007
    #7
    You have until the fall to buy your machine, so I'd say that you should wait for sure. We know that the mbp line will be updated far before late August/early September, so waiting makes the most sense, since like me, you have no particular need for it now.
     
  8. klymr thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 16, 2007
    Location:
    Utah
    #8
    DANG! So, more opinions. I see a 17" MBP 2.33ghz, 2GB of RAM, 160GB hard drive for $2299 on the refurb page of the store. Do I go for that one or wait and spend nearly $1000 more. Do we expect that huge of a power/performance increase? I hate these types of wondering games. :rolleyes:
     
  9. chex macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 17, 2007
    #9
    they will probably update the graphics card so if you do anything that is 3D intensive it is worht waiting.

    Otherwise, tbh there's not much use, there will be a chipset upgrade, and possible Robson cache, which will be nice, but will not render a present macbook pro obsolete.

    Real world performance gains if you are not running intensive 3D apps will only amount to a few seconds here and there...so it really depends on your needs.

    If you ar going for a refurb then theres no reason to wait for the update seeing as you'll have to pay full price to get the updated version.
     
  10. coledog macrumors 6502a

    coledog

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2006
    Location:
    Adirondacks
    #10

    Yea...I'm in the same waiting game over a 17in too. I currently have a 15in MBP refurb that's awesome so I have no problems buying from there again.

    I hating waiting...I'm so impatient too...
     
  11. klymr thread starter macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    May 16, 2007
    Location:
    Utah
    #11
    Well dang. It seems that I'll be waiting then. one reason I'm even buying a laptop is so i can do work on it, which is 3D ring and jewelry design. I know the curent MBP has no problem running the program with bootcamp etc. Anyway, I'll keep playing the waiting game. :-(
     

Share This Page