Looking for a free email backend service.

Discussion in 'Web Design and Development' started by Benchtech, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Benchtech, Jan 25, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2012

Benchtech macrumors member

Well, I have one of my domains and I am looking to provide an email service in which people can register for and get an @....me email address. I found I could do this with Windows Live Domains but I can't stand Windows Live, I hate them so much.

Are there any other, (preferably free) or VERY low cost services that do this?

Thanks in advance,

Ben.

To claify, I'm not looking for a free domain, which is how it may come accross, I am looking for an email service backend that allows users to register, similar, but better than Windows Live domains.

2. cmm macrumors 6502a

Nothing free like that will exist, unless it bombards the user with ads, and you will need to extensively revise your privacy policy as a result. IMO, you shouldn't do that to your users.

Just install and configure postfix and dovecot for your own email server. Don't forget openssl.

3. jsgreen macrumors 6502

FastMail has options that might suite your needs:

fastimap.fm

Look at their Business plans. I've been a customer of theirs for 7 years and have been very satisfied with the service.

4. Benchtech thread starter macrumors member

Don't I need a dedicated server for that?

Also the fastmap.im server is down for me, which makes less than a good impression.

Thanks for the replies!

5. cmm, Jan 27, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2012

cmm macrumors 6502a

Well, a $20 Linode VPS (virtual Private Server, i.e., you get a smaller, specific, dedicated slice of a large, dedicated server) will do the trick. And you'd keep the data. :)

What software is your website running? Just PHP apps? If so, that would take about 5-10 hours to configure, with the email server (I won't pretend to you and tell you that an email server config is easy, it isn't, but a LAMP server: linux, apache, mysql and php could be deployed in 5 minutes with a stackscript, i.e., an automated LAMP script, though i'd recommend nginx rather than apache).

Let me know if I can help

6. Benchtech thread starter macrumors member

Id need to do some massive research! I am not very good with stuff like that, thanks a lot for your detailed reply, much appreciated :)

7. allanscu macrumors newbie