Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Benchtech

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
Well, I have one of my domains and I am looking to provide an email service in which people can register for and get an @....me email address. I found I could do this with Windows Live Domains but I can't stand Windows Live, I hate them so much.

Are there any other, (preferably free) or VERY low cost services that do this?

Thanks in advance,

Ben.

To claify, I'm not looking for a free domain, which is how it may come accross, I am looking for an email service backend that allows users to register, similar, but better than Windows Live domains.

Last edited:

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
Nothing free like that will exist, unless it bombards the user with ads, and you will need to extensively revise your privacy policy as a result. IMO, you shouldn't do that to your users.

Just install and configure postfix and dovecot for your own email server. Don't forget openssl.

jsgreen

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
NH
FastMail has options that might suite your needs:

fastimap.fm

Look at their Business plans. I've been a customer of theirs for 7 years and have been very satisfied with the service.

Benchtech

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
Nothing free like that will exist, unless it bombards the user with ads, and you will need to extensively revise your privacy policy as a result. IMO, you shouldn't do that to your users.

Just install and configure postfix and dovecot for your own email server. Don't forget openssl.

Don't I need a dedicated server for that?

Also the fastmap.im server is down for me, which makes less than a good impression.

Thanks for the replies!

cmm

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2006
NYC
Well, a $20 Linode VPS (virtual Private Server, i.e., you get a smaller, specific, dedicated slice of a large, dedicated server) will do the trick. And you'd keep the data. :)

What software is your website running? Just PHP apps? If so, that would take about 5-10 hours to configure, with the email server (I won't pretend to you and tell you that an email server config is easy, it isn't, but a LAMP server: linux, apache, mysql and php could be deployed in 5 minutes with a stackscript, i.e., an automated LAMP script, though i'd recommend nginx rather than apache).

Let me know if I can help

Last edited:

Benchtech

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 6, 2012
Id need to do some massive research! I am not very good with stuff like that, thanks a lot for your detailed reply, much appreciated :)

allanscu

macrumors newbie
Feb 7, 2008
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.