Looking for a free USB port

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by idonotliketostu, Aug 25, 2011.

1. idonotliketostu macrumors 6502

Does anyone know if there is a free usb port on the 15" unibody motherboard? I want to solder a small chip in there.

2. gorskiegangsta, Aug 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2011

gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

If you had the 17" you could use the back of the expresscard slot but on the 15" your stuck.

4. Lennyvalentin macrumors 6502a

Lennyvalentin

Assuming there are any free ports on the built-in USB hub in the machine (and assuming they're not all disabled for power and/or noise reasons and that there's actually traces in the board connecting to those pins of the IC - probably NOT the case), you'd need a large, powerful magnifying glass, bright light, a really steady hand and a needle sharp soldering iron to connect to it. You'd be liable to wreck your logic board by nudging some tiny surface mounted caps or resistors by mistake or getting solder where it does not belong.

This is a crackpot idea. You should look for a bus-powered mini hub instead if you desperately need additional USB ports when on the move.

5. idonotliketostu thread starter macrumors 6502

Here's what I found base on the system profiler usb tree. There's two usb cables inside the cable coming from the LCD. One goes to the bluetooth and one to the iSight camera.

I took fabric off the cable and found the usb cables.

[​IMG]

Now all I gotta do some testing on which cable is which. Need to buy a usb hub and splice it in. I have plenty of room since I replace my dvd drive with a hard drive.

Let me know of the smallest usb hub you can find.

Think of the all possibilities! Hidden usb receivers, gps, 3g!

6. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

Man, if you pull this off ... whew! You got a set of brass ones, my friend.