Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedlegsFan

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Mar 15, 2012
In need of a background drive. I know there are a few to choose from, but if anyone has some success stories with a particular model/brand, I would appreciate it. I would like to spend around $50, if that is even possible. Thanks!

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
In need of a background drive. I know there are a few to choose from, but if anyone has some success stories with a particular model/brand, I would appreciate it. I would like to spend around $50, if that is even possible. Thanks!
Everybody has their favorite brands, but honestly they are all about the same. It is like arguing if Ford or Chevrolet makes the best trucks. Nothing really wrong with either.

Just decide if you want a desktop 3.5" drive that requires external power, or a laptop 2.5" inch drive that does not. After that just grab whatever USB3 drive you can find on sale in the size you need.

For just a backup drive, I would just get a USB3 laptop size drive. Here is a popular Seagate model for $55 and here is a WD for $49. You might check Best Buy if you have one near you.... they have pretty decent drive sales most weekends.

Last edited:
Reactions: kschendel

garyleecn

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2014
the two big names on external HDD are WD and seagate, they are on par with each other in terms of... hmmm... everything. so just see if you can find a good price and the look that you like.

arggg14

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2014
In the past 10 years, I'm 13/14 with WD drives and 7/9 with Seagate drives for what its worth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.