Looking for a good 1TB external HD for iMac - Recommendations?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by RedlegsFan, Dec 4, 2016.

1. RedlegsFan macrumors 6502

In need of a background drive. I know there are a few to choose from, but if anyone has some success stories with a particular model/brand, I would appreciate it. I would like to spend around $50, if that is even possible. Thanks!

2. Fishrrman macrumors G4

Fishrrman

I'd suggest either HGST (Hitachi) or Toshiba.

3. Weaselboy, Dec 4, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2016

Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Everybody has their favorite brands, but honestly they are all about the same. It is like arguing if Ford or Chevrolet makes the best trucks. Nothing really wrong with either.

Just decide if you want a desktop 3.5" drive that requires external power, or a laptop 2.5" inch drive that does not. After that just grab whatever USB3 drive you can find on sale in the size you need.

For just a backup drive, I would just get a USB3 laptop size drive. Here is a popular Seagate model for $55 and here is a WD for $49. You might check Best Buy if you have one near you.... they have pretty decent drive sales most weekends.

4. garyleecn macrumors 6502a

the two big names on external HDD are WD and seagate, they are on par with each other in terms of... hmmm... everything. so just see if you can find a good price and the look that you like.

5. arggg14 macrumors 6502a

In the past 10 years, I'm 13/14 with WD drives and 7/9 with Seagate drives for what its worth.

6. Clix Pix macrumors demi-goddess

Clix Pix

8 miles from the Apple Store at Tysons (VA)
    I've been using multi-TB Seagate Backup Plus desktop external drives for some time now and have had no problems with them at all. I also have portable (bus-driven) 1 TB and 2 TB external drives as well, both SSD and platters.

7. RedlegsFan thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the feedback! It was helpful and appreciated.