Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Strategia

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2019
I've been interested in putting a Kingston SSD into one of my Macs, but of course most PowerPC Macs only support the older IDE standard. From what I've seen around most people recommend the Startech red adapter, but that one is 40-pin only. Are there any good 44-pin alternatives that work well on these Macs?

bobesch

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2015
Kiel, Germany
I was thinking of taking the components of the SSD out of the enclosure to make it fit.
Ah, that's a clever solution.
Someone here did mention that before, but I can't remember who and where.
Gonno look for that source, but otherwise can't be of help.
If you happen to success please let us know. Using the innerst of an SSD is much cheaper that the mSATA-way now.

Edit: Ha, found it!
There's discussion about this topic here: https://forums.macrumors.com/thread...-options.2260847/?post=29041245#post-29041245

Strategia

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 26, 2019
A little update:
I bought the Godshark 44-pin SATA-to-IDE adapter to go along with my Kingston A400. The inner components of the A400 are protected by four Torx Security screws. Unfortunately, I did not have anything on-hand to open those screws, so I had to 'get creative'.
IMG_0894.jpg

Anyways, the SSD out of its enclosure fit perfectly in the Mini with the adapter. Initially, my Leopard USB installer failed to detect more than 32 MB or so on the SSD, but after I reformatted with APM it seemed to work. Weirdly, it prevents me from extending the partition beyond 128 GB. I wonder if it's because I installed the OS 9 Drivers? I had trouble getting this SSD to work in a Dell Latitude D530 (with no adapter) so I will monitor any anomalies I see.
IMG_0891.jpg

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Weirdly, it prevents me from extending the partition beyond 128 GB. I wonder if it's because I installed the OS 9 Drivers? I had trouble getting this SSD to work in a Dell Latitude D530 (with no adapter) so I will monitor any anomalies I see. View attachment 1726832
Sounds like this Mac has the large drive 128GB limit. You'll need the ATA H-Cap Driver to get around the limit.

It'll require a second partition of the drive.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.